Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

more extractor questions

488 6
Okay, I bought dakotan's reliability package and it helped a lot. However, with cci ammo, I still get some jams, usually when I first start a shooting session. It appears the problem arises when the spent shell is extracted but gets caught in the action somehow, jamming up with the new round coming off the magazine and locking the action open. When I pull the magazine, both the spent shell and the live cartridge drop out of the mag. well, so the jam is occurring after the top round is stripped from the magazine. My thinking is that the second extractor, really a cartridge guide, is causing the shell not to be kicked free of the action. My question is, are you guys with the two-extractor guns running the VG Exact Edge and dumping that second, inside extractor, or are you keeping it in place? Thanks in advance. Other than this problem, I am really enjoying the rifle with the GM barrel. I actually like it better in the thinned down, camoed and otherwise modified factory stock than in the fagen thumbhole sporter. regards. lawboy.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ski, good idea. I will try it. I had forgotten about the magazine being the primary ejector. I've stripped the bolt down completely, cleaned and checked both extractor slots, slightly adjusted the headspace, etc. There are no burrs. Also, I am not sure because I haven't fired much of it since I put in the VG extractor, but it seems I don't have this problem with the Winchester ammo, only the CCI. I will know more definitely after the weekend as I intend to burn about 100 rounds of the Winchester on Saturday. I'll let you all know what results for the shooting and the magazine test. WILL USE ONLY SPENT CASE AND UNLOADED MAGAZINE. :)

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
great info. I will check the oal of all my ammo tonight. I think I may offer to trade the cci for winchester at a local shop. I doubt they will decline the offer as I think they get more for the cci.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.