Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I bought dakotan's reliability package and it helped a lot. However, with cci ammo, I still get some jams, usually when I first start a shooting session. It appears the problem arises when the spent shell is extracted but gets caught in the action somehow, jamming up with the new round coming off the magazine and locking the action open. When I pull the magazine, both the spent shell and the live cartridge drop out of the mag. well, so the jam is occurring after the top round is stripped from the magazine. My thinking is that the second extractor, really a cartridge guide, is causing the shell not to be kicked free of the action. My question is, are you guys with the two-extractor guns running the VG Exact Edge and dumping that second, inside extractor, or are you keeping it in place? Thanks in advance. Other than this problem, I am really enjoying the rifle with the GM barrel. I actually like it better in the thinned down, camoed and otherwise modified factory stock than in the fagen thumbhole sporter. regards. lawboy.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Hmmmmmm,

I don't have one of those "dual extractor" rifles, but, I love a good "mystery".

;)

lawboy,

Does that #2 (inner) extractor pivot freely? Maybe there is some "residual" preservative that causes it to jam until you have fired a few rounds. Or the bolt's slot might have a burr.

How about the magazine? Are ya making sure it's fully inserted?
Remember, the magazine is the primary "Ejector" for the spent case. That case should be "ejected" way before the bolt's return to strip a fresh round.

Try this,

Put a SPENT case into the chamber. Let the bolt close. Insert an EMPTY magazine into the receiver. Watch thru the ejection port, as ya slowly pull back the handle.

You might be able to get an idea (in slow motion) of what is going on inside there.

PLEASE! Make sure you use a spent case and empty magazine.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ski, good idea. I will try it. I had forgotten about the magazine being the primary ejector. I've stripped the bolt down completely, cleaned and checked both extractor slots, slightly adjusted the headspace, etc. There are no burrs. Also, I am not sure because I haven't fired much of it since I put in the VG extractor, but it seems I don't have this problem with the Winchester ammo, only the CCI. I will know more definitely after the weekend as I intend to burn about 100 rounds of the Winchester on Saturday. I'll let you all know what results for the shooting and the magazine test. WILL USE ONLY SPENT CASE AND UNLOADED MAGAZINE. :)

·
Registered
574 Posts
Lawboy,

I've got one of the dualies, I even went as far as to have a second extractor slot cut in a aftermarket barrel to keep it, talk about anal!.:rolleyes: it's fairly heavily modified now, with the Dakotan buffer, edge extractor, WhistlePig barrel trigger parts and Houge stock I've had absolutly no problem with ammo feeding except two.... PMC and CCI TNT's.

Now I found this odd because the Federal Premium loaded with the Speer TNT 30 grain hp would feed just fine but the Maxi Mag loaded with the same bullet would not :confused:.

The problems I was having was not on extraction, the shells were most defiantly being tossed out, it was the new shell stripped off the magazine, angled up and wedged into the corner at the top between the barrel and reciever as the bolt came forward.

once home I did some checking... OAL of the Federal Premium... 1.317
.....................................................OAL of the CCI Maxi Mag.........1.359
The Remington Premiers are Long too, but due to the shape and taper, they are fantastic feeders as well as shooters!
My rifle just does not like long,wide cartridges. unfortunatly I didn't have any of the PMC left to measure, I'd be interested to know the OAL of that one too.

since I found the Premiers to be such fantastic shooters, and the federals to be fair, I'm not to concerned that I can't cycle the CCI of PMC stuff

Kevin

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
kevin,

"Faulty Feeding"....that's another good "mystery".

Your cases are being ejected o.k.? No "stove pipes"?

The fresh round is getting "screwed up"?

The ammo shouldn't make any difference, except for "accuracy".

Awhile back, I loaded a magazine with all different brands of ammo. Ruger Magnum w/Volq barrel. There were no feed problems, at all.

The last time I went shooting, I had a "mis-feed" with my favorite "Premiers". I switched to a different magazine and didn't have anymore problems for the rest of the day.

I haven't had a chance to "investigate" that particular magazine, yet, but I'm pretty sure that it was/is the problem.

I have never "cleaned" any of my magazines, since I originally "tweaked" them after buying them.

This particular magazine, just might be "over-due" a tune-up.

btw, lawboy,

Yeah, I know......But since reading that "Accidental/Negligent Discharge" thread in the Community Forum......it don't hurt to overstress safety.

:D

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
great info. I will check the oal of all my ammo tonight. I think I may offer to trade the cci for winchester at a local shop. I doubt they will decline the offer as I think they get more for the cci.

·
Registered
574 Posts
ya, it ejects great, but what I think is that- that extra .040" + the fact that the Speer TNT is such a WIDE round at the tip, it just can't make the turn at the mouth of the barrel. but seated back just that extra amount it lets it kick out enough to center and enter the barrel early... I've hand fed both through, and you can watch the bolt strip each off and the CCI is just touching the top face of the barrel before the back is free of the magazine. Were as the Fed is up and away as the nose of the cartridge is at the mouth of the barrel.

Maybe if I shortened the rails on one of the magazines? that might let the CCI up and out a little earlier... maybe the barrel sits just a smidge (tech talk :D ) more rearward making it harder to get the longer wide tipped rounds up and in?

Think I'll take a look at all my magazines, and if they all look the same, I may shorten the guide rails on one by 40 thousanths, mark it for CCI ONLY and see if that makes a differance.

Kevin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.