Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Moly-fusion

315 4
I have been reading about moly-fusion in barrels and am very interested in trying it. How is it applied? Pros and Cons? Good on centerfires also? Anyone with experence and how did it go? Thanks
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
10,095 Posts
I like it. It is just swabbed in with a mop. I put it on all my AR bolts too. The idea is that with the micro penetration of the metal, it gives you slightly higher velocity. There are some claims of better accuracy, but these claims are not by the manufacturer.

My personal experience is that if there is any accuracy gain, it is minimal. BUT, it does improve velocity and most of all, eases cleaning immensely! Where I might have to clean an AR every 25 or 30 shots for maximum accuracy, I can go twice that far.

And instead of wet patch, dry patch, dry patch - repeat 7 times, it is usually wet patch, dry, dry ONE time. That goes for .22's as well. I spend a whole lot less time cleaning and clean up is a lot easier.

If I were smart, I'd go ahead and treat all my 10/22's... frankly I just haven't gotten around to it, but I probably will since it is getting too hot to work in the garage any way.

· Registered
19 Posts
I agree with Markbo on everything he said. I have only tried it on a couple higher end rifles that did not have much room for improvement. I think I might try it on a couple middle of the road rifles as far as accuracy goes to see what the improvement will be on those.......

· Registered
10,095 Posts
That is a shortcoming... English is not his first language and it shows. If you just read and re-read the instructions, it will clear up.

Basically you must start with an absolutely, positively CLEAN barrel (or bolt or whatever). Scrubbed and de-greased - several times if necessary. Then you start to appy the product with a mop (or rag for other parts) and you will actually feel it change... like it get more viscous. If necessary, add more product, but keep doing it for at least the time period it spells out.

It is a good to have the part heated in the oven to 160* or so... this will help with the bonding process. I did this on a few AR bolts and have never re-greased them since... which if you know AR's you know they need their grease!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.