Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Mohawk 10-C Magazine Issues

285 4
Help! Wife bought me a great 10-C, but the magazine drops free! Is this common?

The magazine appears to be like new and undamaged. near as I can tell the mag catch thumb button does not push fwd with enough force to engage the mag catch edge?

Is there a chance the magazine release spring is weakened with age or possibly was installed incorrectly? I doubt the latter as the gun is 99% and all screws look to be un-touched. Not a mark on the metal or stock.

Taking suggestions now... thanks in advance!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
If it is similar design to the 581 mag latch, you could just take it off and re-bend the spring a little.

However, I'm not sure what the procedure is to disassemble the rifle to get the little gadget loose for repair. On my bolt gun, it is straightforward, but on the 10C, it could be a lot more involved.

Ej

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The spring should be "stretchable", however dis-assembly is not the same (Mohawk 10-C is a semi-suto). I need someone's expert advice on take-down, experience, etc?

Anyone experienced with this design and the specific problem? :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,899 Posts
I had the same problem with one and fixed it without dissasembly. With mine the magazine quide had gotten bent forward as if the rifle was dropped on the magazine. Before I bent the guide back I tried to put more bend in the catch spring by bending a thick piece of wire in a "L shape to wedge between the guide and the spring so I could put some forward pressure on it - I dion't know if this helped or not. Then I bent the guide back to get a measument of 1.344 to 1.375 from the front of the magazine opening to the front of the guide were it goes into the reciever using a thin ruler so the angle of the guide would not effect the measurement.

I have not test fired the gun but I did cycle some of the 22 plastic snap caps through it OK.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried the "pry method" but the thumb catch still does not engage the magazine lip securely. Weird.

It only takes a very slight bump or contact with the rear of the magazine to drop free. This cannot be normal for this design.:confused:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.