Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In another post, I mentioned that I had bought this gun at a local auction, and it's physical condition was not good. I spent maybe five hours cleaning/polishing the inside of the receiver; and later when I went to replace the recoil spring, that was when the sub-assembly (fire control unit) decided to come apart. Well, I got my Model 99C back from the gunsmith the other day, $28.50 later. I decided to take the stock off of it and give it a wipe down and swab the barrel since they had it in something, and there was residue left on it. After getting it "purtified" (purty it ain't really...) I was ready to see how it would do.
For the site-in, I elected to use the Winchester X-Perts I had weighed some time back. The box I used did not have the weight they came in at on it, so I wasn't too concerned. I had problems with them before (Grey/Black box days), being underpowered.
Firing was to the left, Red square to establish some order of site-in, and switched to the right Red square to verify before the final adjustment, at the center Blue square. It was just a preliminary work, nothing serious today. No groups of 5 of several different brands/styles.

· Registered
1,529 Posts
You have some torque issues showing up.
And a probable binding from the sides of the barrel channel.
Relieve any lateral pressures from the barrel channel...from the forend tip to about midway down the channel.
Then check the torque on the action screw. Generally, you want it snugged up, but not 'white-knuckled'. If you see signs that you've seriously compressed the wood, that's too much. Not knowing its history, start at these two areas of interest.

The XPerts should group alot tighter than that.
Sometimes, though, Marlin semi-autos like jacketed over lead.
Some XPert, American Eagle or Federal Champion should show good favor for good accuracy in this gun.

Best Wishes-ED

PS- You didn't say if you were shooting iron sights or lensed....???

· Registered
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should have taken pictures of it when I got it, of the excess dirt/grit in the chamber area with the grease the previous owner had along the bolt, etc. I have officially nicknamed it "Basket Case."
I'll try to get the gun outside and take some photos of the stock.
Sights : See second picture - Optic - Daisy Powerline 3-9x32mm scope set at 4x power.
Yes, I know it should shoot a lot better than that with X-Perts...LOL The action screw was snugged, not "white knuckled." As mentioned it was just a preliminary sight-in to make sure the scope wasn't knocked out of kilter while at the gunsmithing shop.
One thing I forgot to mention was I'd forgotten how "hard" the trigger pull was on this gun. It had been out of commission for several months, thus no trigger time with it, finally decided that "Spring will spring" and I wanted it ready for shooting.

· Registered
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2 pictures

Cu-Melter,

Here's a couple of shots of the stock. I touched it up down the barrel channel/tube with sandpaper, hope I removed enough, time will tell. When I was putting it back together, I looked at the action screw area, there had been compression, though I don't think I'd done enough to do damage, likely it had already been done by the previous owner.

· Registered
1,529 Posts
Ok..then this compressed area of the stock is gonna give you fits over the years to come.

Regarding the torque on the action screw, this is probably gonna be the main culprit. You've got two (well one..) options to employ down the road.

Grab a fixture fitting down at the hardware store and implement a pillar for the action screw. Depending on how far a restoration project you wanna dive into is your own call.
But a simple pillar will at least bring any further compressions to a halt.
I've used PVC plumbing pipe & epoxy to fix issues like this w/little or no fuss.

I tell people to go get a Tornado Brush (Hoppe's) and do a number on the bore & chamber. Graphite powder is your best lubricant for the action assembly.
The trigger trick is well posted, but beware...cut a half coil off and polish the sears w/a wet stone. Don't go too far. Graphite will take up the slack.

Let us know what the next range report shows ya.
I'd like to see this puppy run.

-ED

Cu-Melter's Marlin Model 25-N

· Registered
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Basket Case's Latest Test

I decided this morning would be a good time to go back to the Model 99C and test for accuracy again. I admit some of the groups were not as good as they may possibly be because I may have hurried the first groups of six.
I selected different brands/loads available to me and fired one 5-shot group with each to see if the Rifle would "react" and show some promise with any. Shooting was conducted with the target at 75 ft/25 yards away and the scope setting of the Powerline 3-9 was 4X. Rest was by Shooters Ridge. I measured the five-shot group, and the "best of three."
The winds were up, somewhere between 5-10 mph according to the weather folks.
In the previous posts, I had been advised to relieve some of the wood along the barrel and tube, which I did take some sandpaper to.

Disclaimer : "I am not a rifleman!" Sorry, no pics of the targets yet.

The Ammunition and results :

1. CCI Subsonic Hollow Point .787" group, best of three was .253"
2. CCI Standard Velocity LRN "Paco'd SWC" 1.364" group, best of three was .444"
3. CCI Standard Velocity LRN .745" group, best of three was .496"
4. CCI Green Tag LRN 1.267" group, best of three was .751"
5. Rem Subsonic Hollow Point 1.40" group, best of three was .592"
6. Wolf Match Target LRN 1.07" group, best of three was .470"

7. Win X-Pert Hollow Point .798" group, best of three was .218"
8. S&B Rex LRN 1.01" group, best of three was .549"
9. WIN Power Point Hollow Point 1.742" group, best of three was .471"
10. CCI Velocitor Hollow Point .979" group, best of three was .476
Special Note on the Velocitor - Four of the five shots had smoke rolling out of the rifle, from the trigger guard and left side of the gun. It was, well, very surprising.

11. WIN T-22 Target LRN .976" group, best of three was .454"
Special Note on the T-22 - It exhibited the same sonic crack the "high velocity" loads did.
12. Aguila Super SE Extra Subsonic Hollow Pt 1.11" group, best of three was .467"
13. Rem/Eley Target Rifle LRN .713" group, best of three was .363"
14. Fed 36-gr Bulk Pack HP - "Paco SWC'd" 2.179" group, best of three was 1.382"

Further Notes :

Some of the subsonics failed to push the bolt back enough to chamber the next round. I was looking for accuracy today.
Need to better pin the targets down on the backer when shooting with a breeze or windy conditions.
Since the Do-All Bullet Box fell off my little platform, I should consider putting two nails into the baseboard to keep it on the platform.

· Registered
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pictures

One thing I forgot to mention in the last post is that I measure outer most to Outer most for group size rather than center-to-center, allows for gun accuracy and for shooter error.
Anyway, here are the photos of the targets.

· Registered
1,325 Posts
In another post, I mentioned that I had bought this gun at a local auction, and it's physical condition was not good. I spent maybe five hours cleaning/polishing the inside of the receiver; and later when I went to replace the recoil spring, that was when the sub-assembly (fire control unit) decided to come apart. Well, I got my Model 99C back from the gunsmith the other day, $28.50 later. I decided to take the stock off of it and give it a wipe down and swab the barrel since they had it in something, and there was residue left on it. After getting it "purtified" (purty it ain't really...) I was ready to see how it would do.
For the site-in, I elected to use the Winchester X-Perts I had weighed some time back. The box I used did not have the weight they came in at on it, so I wasn't too concerned. I had problems with them before (Grey/Black box days), being underpowered.
Firing was to the left, Red square to establish some order of site-in, and switched to the right Red square to verify before the final adjustment, at the center Blue square. It was just a preliminary work, nothing serious today. No groups of 5 of several different brands/styles.

hey- T
WHATS THAT BACKSTOP????????????
not the wood
but the thing that says rimfire only??????????
where do you get that at????????
i don't shoot paper, but i think that would be another cool gift
for my grandson's birthday.
don't care about the price, where did it come from??????????
thanks

· Registered
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gendoc,

"Do-All Bullet Box" @ Cabela's $49.99 + shipping. It's a put-together affair, compared to the older Outer's/Champion Rimfire trap. Locally, a gun shop wanted $65.99 for one of the Champion traps.

· Registered
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
ArrowDodger wrote :

"I have one also and they are nice but use a cardboard sheet behind the
target paper because the lead will spray back thru the paper. Also, lead dust will be left underneath the seams on whatever you set it on."

Yep on both counts. Did a little post in the Open Rimfire link, think I posted a pic showing the dust on my stand. Since I use the cardboard of cereal boxes, you can see the lead spatter doesn't stop too well.

Here is the link to the Do All Bullet Box thread post :

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225087

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.