Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Model 880 .22 rifle

509 9
Bought this rifle at a pawn shop in Tenn. in early 90's. Paid $80 for it.Clip fed bolt action .22 lr only.Seems to be a well made rifle(decent wood,finish,etc.) but can't find any info on the model 880 other than mfg. date(1989). Any info(opinions,value,etc.) would be greatly appreciated.Thanks.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts

Love my 880 and it's accurate enough to shoot half inch and smaller groups. Have the Mueller 4.5-14 mounted on it, a Harris-type bipod. Did a lighter spring job in the trigger and got the pull down to a couple pounds or less- almost no pressure now to fire it. Good rifle, but didn't come with any manuals in the box, so information on it is sketchy at best. You can find schematics for it on line, however, and there are lots of users out here with acres of pages of information.
Enjoy yours, pass it down to grandkids when they're old enough and they'll love it, too.

Shy

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
880'were great rifles, but then, I dont' know of one of the 80 or 81 series, that marlin ever put out, starting 75 years ago, that is sub par. now then, that price is totally sick, but if you had an 880 sq, that may have been the best of the 80 series ever, certainly top 3...

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
yeah , an 880 sq.... mmm I drifted off there. a cheeky little rifle, devil may care looks, usually a synth stock, in a schabel fore end setup. a bbl that looked overtly fat, too fat, that it must be aftermarket bbl, but it wasn't. Also , they usually had nice sites, a fully adjustable rear site, with a covered front. these sites could also get serious, I saw 1 or two with a globe front site, with a double globe and crosshair, fully adjustable rear peeper. I shoulda got that one...
It was made to be an ultimate type woods /squirrel getter rifle, hence the sq, ahhh but gents, they were so much better than that,... (sniffle).. so much better.
I am sure someone here will come along with some pics , with which to drool over...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.