Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all,

Just got a new model 80 the barrel is very very rusted, the rifling looks rusted as well...so im going to put a new barrel on it, i found one on Numrich for like $45....my question is, is putting a new barrel on this gun an easy project or should i have a gunsmith do it...i have never done anything like this before, what are the complications while doing this...thanks

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
i would clean and shoot that one first, their accuracy is renowned, I got a rust bucket one myself, pitted and no bluing whatsoever, and then I cleaned it with foam, and soaked it in cleaner, then I shot it.
I wont' be doing anything else to this bbl , ever, it is just too good.

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
i agree

found rusted one myself at a flea market - could not see thru bore - cleaned out + used some kroil + jb , no pitting at all + is very accurate - exterior wash surface rust only - older steel must be better than on some modern guns -

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i just cleaned mine...the bore looks great, i used this stuff called RB-17, its an ammonia based cleaner that takes rust right off and doesn't hurt the blueing, you just have to make sure that you get it all off or the gun will rust because of the ammonia....i also aquired a Ranger 103-13, not sure but i think it's better known as a model 81....when i pull the bolt back after a shot the shell just stays connected to the bolt, is there anything that i can do to prevent/fix this thanks....any info on any of these guns will be appreciated...brent

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.