Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine told me the chamber of my Anschutz-Savage 64 is sloppy(cut too deep) because a match bullet falls all the way into the chmber. He says the bullet should hit the rifling and have to be seated by the bolt. Is his statement true? This gun shoots about .625 inch ctc groups @50yd with Eley Tenex and Federal 911. Is this good for this rifle?

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
I have two Anschutz 64 Silhouette rifles & a friend has two 54 actioned rifles, a "Match 54" & a 1710. On all four of these, a .22 LR target round can be easily seated by hand completely in the chamber with no pressure. All four have delivered one-hole groups @ 50 yards. I'm not saying they will do it every time - the average groups probably run 1/2" or slightly less.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Seat a round in the chamber, then remove it and you should be able to see rifling inprinted into the lead. Check to see if your barrel is free floated from the stock by running a dollar bill between the barrel and forend. You might also check your action screws, they should be very close to the same (20-30 in lbs if the gun is not pillar bedded). Different ammo chambers differently, although I have found the Federal match ammo is a little tighter in most of my guns. When I change brands of ammo I will run a couple of dry patches through the bore and then it will take several rounds for the gun to settle down. With quality ammo I think your gun should shoot alittle tighter, I doubt that anything is wrong with your action or barrel. Make sure your parallax is set correctly. Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Rich: you didn't say what vintage your 64 is. The chambers on the older anschutz rifles are longer generally. They don't generally engrave the bullet. They can still shoot very well. If your 64 is one of the older ones then the triggers are not so good and it might be hard to get it to shoot much better than what your getting. I have had 64's shoot better than that- less than 1/2".

·
Registered
46 Posts
M64 Question

I have a 1416 that is newer mfg. With Lapua Master L and Rem- Eley Match I can get .3" at 50yd. if I do my part and the wind cooperates. You have a nice rifle there.
You might need to give a careful cleaning with Shooters Choice Lead Remover then shoot it back in with lead target ammo for a few rounds then test it again.
Guzziac

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.