Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Trying to install a new firing pin into my Win M63. I've been sanding and polishing trying to get the edges smooth so that it would drop in w/o binding.

Well I've finally figured out that the final hole in the bolt where the firing pin comes out to stike the case has a little ridge in inside of it. So the problem is this, the spring can pull the firing pin back far enough so that when the pin tries to move forward again it will catch on this ridge. Then when the hammer strikes it again, I'm going to end up with another broken firing pin.

Suggestions on how to get this ridge out? It's either that or add some length to the firing pin itself or ???

I was thinking some JB Weld down inside of the thing, let it set up some and then push the firing pin to form it and pull the pin back out.....

Suggestions? Comments??

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Burred Firing Pin Hole In Bolt

NotDadsW41,

There should not be any 'ridge' inside the firing pin hole in the M63's bolt. I suspect that when your original firing pin broke, the fractured end raised this burr or 'ridge'. I had a similar occurrence on a H-S Model B that had a broken firing pin.

My suggestion to you would be to use a matching* number sized drill as a hand reamer and manually remove the 'ridge':
DO NOT increase the size of the firing pin hole in the bolt face...! !
DO NOT use any power tools...! !
Work from the back end of the bolt...! !
Clamp the drill bit in a tap wrench handle and turn very carefully so as not to break the drill bit inside the bolt...! !
Note the firing pin is tapered...! !
Work slowly...! !
* No more and .005" larger than firing pin "tip" diameter.

Hope this helps...! ! :)

Winchester Model 63 Exploded View

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK got to this today. What I find is not really a burr. But it appears that the whole inside of the bolt is worn oddly. It appears to me that the there is a drop off or edge inside of the bolt that is at least the size of the firing pin. I should add that the pin can most it's entire thickness at the point down and to one side on the back of the bolt face.

Example: I think it should be like this..
_____
<_____------firing pin goes down here, with a fairly tight fit

And it's more like this:

_____
< ---------
|_______----- firing pin can go down here and hit the edge below the hole in the bolt face.....

I think I need a new bolt....

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Upon further review.... it's BigMike to the rescue!

I was very careful while disassembling the rifle to note the position of things. In particular the firing pin....

From BigMike's schematic, I've been able to determine that the firing pin I took out, and the one I was trying to make fit, were going in upside down!!!

Flipped the thing over and reinstalled and all seems well. I'll head to the range this week or maybe over the weekend and I'll report the results.

Many Many thanks to BigMike!!!

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
M63 Firing Pin..... The Saga Continues.....

NotDadsW41
When all else fails, read the directions...! ! :D
I hope it works out for you...! ! :)

I have run into similar cases, where someone brings me a piece that has "always been breaking XXXX", only to find out that the parts have been installed up-side-down, backwards, etc. ...! ! :(

Hey, it happens....... ;)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mike,

Thanks again for the help. I don't think I would have figured it out if it wasn't for the schematic that you posted.

Hard to believe that's it's possible for that thing to go in two different ways.... Poorly engineered IMHO....

Still love the rifle though... After it was all back together I held it up and sighted down the barrell..... Boy does it bring back good memories..... Can't wait to actually get to shoot it again.

Thanks again!!!!!

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
M63 Repaired...! !

NotDadsW41,

We expect a 'full report' of your shooting of the resurrected M63...! ! ;)

Glad to hear it's back in shooting condition...! ! :t :t

PS; Don't forget to clean the 'inside' of the magazine plunger tube...! ! It gets pretty cruddy inside the tube, and can cause misfeeds...! ! :(

Good Luck...! ! :) :t

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Hey Toto, This Ain't Kansas

NotDadsW41,

Glad to be of some help....! ! ;)

It is nice to now that another fine rifle has been saved from oblivion....! ! :t :cool:

Love my M63...! ! :)

I only wish we still had dumps with rats...! ! That is where it was in its glory...! ! :cool:

Enjoy your M63.....! ! :) :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.