Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post on this board, although I have been reading the posts for some time. You all seem to be a good bunch of guys. The reason for my post is this. I recently read in one of the threads about a model 617 whithout the under barrel lug. I have one of these in 6", and was wondering how many of these were made, and how much they were worth. I bought mine used from a local gun shop and it didn't come with the box, so I'm sure this detracts from the value. Just wondering if anyboby out there can help me out. Thanks

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Partial Lug on M617

Deadi,

Welcome to RFC...! ! :)

One must remember that the M617 is just the M17 [K-22] in stainless steel...! ! The K-22 always had a partially lugged barrel. When S&W went to Model numbers in 1957, the K-22 became the M17, and it retained the partial lug.

The M617 [stainless] was added in 1990; it was initially made with the fully lugged barrel. When the M17 Plus [10 shot] was added in 1996, the fully lugged barrel was introduced to the blued gun.

Your partially lugged M617 is rare*...! ! :)

Hope this helps...! ! :)

* Edited to reflect Victor Louis' Posted correction below.

·
Registered
277 Posts
On the contrary, Big Mike, they ARE RARE

Since of the intro of the stainless 617, it's been made with a full-lug, just as with the last generation of the blued M-17s. Two runs of non-lugged 6-inchers were made in 1991 for the distributor Ashland Shooting Supplies. They were product codes 100565/67. Since you don't have the box, it comes down to one identifying feature, as far as I can tell.

Does your gun have a wide{.5"} Target Hammer and Target Trigger? If so, that's one of the latter of the two runs. I can't recall the exact quantity, but it's somewhere around a couple of hundred units. If it has the thinner hammer and trigger, it's one of 116 units.:eek:

I'm not sure which of the two runs it's from, but one collector was recently asking $775 for his(IIRC). When either the 4" or 6" of these come up for sale, they are well over $500-$600 if the seller knows what a gem they have.;)

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your help. I checked and my 617 has the thin trigger and the hammer is approximately 3/8'' wide. I had a regular lugged 617 and felt that it was too heavy, so when I saw this one a couple of years ago I bought it. I don't shoot it as much as I thought I would, but it seems to shoot well. My 50+ year old eyes don't seem to focus on pistol sights as well as they used to. Now I have an idea of what its worth just in case I ever want to get rid of it. Thanks again for your help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.