Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Model 54 dating/ barrels and dates...

5982 6
Several folks have been kicking this question around via emails. A couple of the used gun price guides say the Model 54 dates from 1963. Several individuals have guns with barrels dated 63 with higher S/N's than mine and several other folks guns. My S/N is 22406 with no date only a proof mark on the barrel and receiver. Another individual has a 54 S/N: 20XXX that is marked the same. Anybody else go a 54 like that? Are we sure the Model 54 doesn't date from 1954? Just curious is all.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Re: Dating Anschutz 54

Mate,According to my notes:
Anschutz started producing 22 target rifles in 1954- hence MATCH 54 incription on top of barrels.
As the anschutz factory numbers its rifles sequentially,it a fair bet that the lower the number the older the rifle.A gun with a five figure number is going to be quite old.
If you want to date your rifle accurately for a number of years a date was included along side the proof mark on the barrel just above the wood where the barrel fixes into the reciever. you should find two numbers next to a small eagle .
Unfortunately the date doesnt appear on rifles made in the Fifties/early sixties & they stopped this practice in the late seventies.
Round about 1963 Anschutz made a bolt design change, prior to that they had a single extractor.
Another sign of an eary anschutz is if the foresight tunnel is fitted onto a large collar sweated onto the end of the barrel. Later models have a small dovetail block bolted onto the barrel & the very latest only have a dovetail Machined onto the end of the barrel.
Further differences between anschutz rifles came with the removal of the swing safety after the 14 series with a lettering system incorporated into the serial number to determine date of rifle .
Hope this helps , if can remember the lettering system ill post it here.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Re anschutz dating

Mate , Im pretty positive your rifle was made in the fifties & should have a single extractor & the bolt shroud should be round but flat at the back where the firing pin protrudes, no date of manufacture on the barrel .

·
Registered
951 Posts
dateing anschutz actions

westie said:
Mate,According to my notes:
Anschutz started producing 22 target rifles in 1954- hence MATCH 54 incription on top of barrels.
As the anschutz factory numbers its rifles sequentially,it a fair bet that the lower the number the older the rifle.A gun with a five figure number is going to be quite old.
If you want to date your rifle accurately for a number of years a date was included along side the proof mark on the barrel just above the wood where the barrel fixes into the reciever. you should find two numbers next to a small eagle .
Unfortunately the date doesnt appear on rifles made in the Fifties/early sixties & they stopped this practice in the late seventies.
Round about 1963 Anschutz made a bolt design change, prior to that they had a single extractor.
Another sign of an eary anschutz is if the foresight tunnel is fitted onto a large collar sweated onto the end of the barrel. Later models have a small dovetail block bolted onto the barrel & the very latest only have a dovetail Machined onto the end of the barrel.
Further differences between anschutz rifles came with the removal of the swing safety after the 14 series with a lettering system incorporated into the serial number to determine date of rifle .
Hope this helps , if can remember the lettering system ill post it here.
I have an anchutz match 54 serial #118047 with an A over the seven, It has 2 exstractors and has a 74 date also has the wing safty. The eagle is infront of the 74 . Is 74 the real date since you say they stoped the process in the sixties or am I confused. Mudd Turtle.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
mudd turtle said:
I have an anchutz match 54 serial #118047 with an A over the seven, It has 2 exstractors and has a 74 date also has the wing safty. The eagle is infront of the 74 . Is 74 the real date since you say they stoped the process in the sixties or am I confused. Mudd Turtle.
Yep 1974 would be the date. The latest I've seen marked this way was 1976, still using the Match 54 bolt with the wing saftey not the new 16xx action.

I think you got a little confused; Westie noted that the numbered date code started in the '60s and was used until the '70's, i believe with the redesigned 16xx series.

·
Registered
951 Posts
confused

Yep" Tim I was confused. The next thing for me is to get this action in a good bench rest stock. Looking at mcmillian-they have a couple. I would like to see a match54 action in a mcmillian stock if someone could post pictures. Mudd turtle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.