Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Model 52 Scope

1756 14
I have a 1935 Model 52 that was my grand father's and is now in my care.

At one point in its life it had a scope on it and it had been messed with by either me or my brothers, and now it is basically a tube with two lenses on it, no crosshairs.

It is marked only with a patent date of 1905.

I want to restore the scope to usefulness, as this rifle will pass on to my son (he told me so), and I promised my father to care for it as he would.

Ca anyone point me in the right direction here?
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Check for Premier Reticles.....Dick Thomas...they DON'T do anything with the old scopes as far as I know but he is well known in the scope field and has many contacts and they are nice and would know someone if anyone would.....It might be cheaper and more user friendly just to buy a old long tube scope to keep the looks the same as labor runs more than a different scope many times on those old rebuilds...if they can be fixed.....old unertl and Feckler long scopes are still to be found ......HTH...good luck and good shooting!!

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Scope or Sight Tube

spinynorman,

Are you sure that it had a "scope" on it [with crosshairs], or did it have a "tube sight" [long empty tube].......? ? :confused:

Most scopes, even the very old ones, had the maker's name on them somewhere...... :(

May I suggest that you have the piece looked at by a knowledgeable Winchester collector or gunsmith. :)

Good Luck.....! ! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Long tube is more accurate. I am looking through the Patent Office as I can see the patent date on it, and it was made by Winchester, and the marking A5 is on it as well.

It appears to me that it came with the rifle, but I amy be wrong.

I'll follow your suggestion, thanks

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Winchester A5

......and it was made by Winchester, and the marking A5 is on it as well.
OK, it is a vintage Winchester A5 telescope....! !

The telescopes were made by Winchester starting in 1909; they were made in 3X, 4X, and 5X; they utilized precision lenses made by Bausch and Lomb. They were high priced, high grade instruments popular with the more advanced target shooters of the day, but never sold in very large quantities. In 1928, all rights and fixtures for the manufacture of the Winchester A5 telescope were sold to Lyman Gunsight Corporation. They redesigned the A5 scope and marketed it as the Lyman A5.

Scope builders such as Unertl and Fecker were known to rebuild the old Winchester A5's into very satisfactory telescopic sights.

[The above information from "The Rifle In America" by Phil Sharpe]

Hope this helps.....! ! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.