Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I have a new model 41 and realize its accuracy potential. Most shooting will take place from 20-50 yards. It would come to logic that a scope with a magnification should be used to capitalize on its true accuracy potential. Thus lies my question. All of the quality scopes that I have seen have a parallax free distance of 90 or 100 yards. I don’t routinely shoot my .22 pistol at those ranges. Some may say that it won't be that big a deal, but I HAD a Burris 2-7x32 on the weapon and was shooting at 20 yards and I definitely seen a difference. The parallax was bad. When you have a S&W 41 shooting Eley Ultimate EPS ammo the potential should be there to be able to put ragged hole groups together. I took off the Burris and put on my Ultra Dot off of my Beretta and re-shot the group (Just looking for a group this time) There it was one ragged hole. I want to be able to stretch out to 50 yards for smaller targets but I don't know if I can do it without a scope with magnification. WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS??? Leupold lists their parallax at 90 yards, would they be better than the Burris? What about Nikon? Maybe a straight 2X or 4X or in all practicality is it better to just get another Red Dot? I'm after precision shooting at 20-50 yards possibly even up to 75 yards. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Burris used to make a lot of handgun scopes with PA. This allows you to shoot precision groups at various distances. I have a 4X , 5X , 2X-7X and 7X all with PA. Even a 2X PA - but I have never mess with the PA on that one.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunitly they now only make a PA with their 3-12x32 model a little too heavy, big and too much mag for my application. If they made that 2X or 4X still my problems would be over :D . I just came accoss a scope by Aimpoint last night a CompC3 2X that looks like the ticket. a 2x no Parallax and its a red dot. Looks like the best of both worlds! It should be the price tag is over $400 :mad: It also has a 1 MOA red dot which should be great for precision shooting and small game hunting. :t

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
T. Defense said:
Unfortunitly they now only make a PA with their 3-12x32 model a little too heavy, big and too much mag for my application. If they made that 2X or 4X still my problems would be over :D .
I was able to get one of my PA Burris handgun scopes on ebay. Sometimes you can actually buy stuff on their auctions at a reasonable price. Today I looked and they have a 2X PA listed as below in the item list:

Burris pistol scope w/Targ knobs & AO like new FREE S&H $132.50

There is about 4 hours left on this auction. There were like 14 bids I think.

Also a 4X PA listed:

Burris 4X Pistol Scope $107.50

Had about 11 bids - auction had about one day 9 hours to go.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
If you win the scope I think you will be very pleased with it. I have owned the same version of the 2X PA for about 12 years now. Very clear and crisp and easy to use even from off hand. It originally saw use on a 357 Mag TC. Also used it on a 5.5" Ruger MKII. Currently it is on a 10" TC Contender 22 match. Good luck!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Camster said:
I'm just partial to Leupold products so don't forget the option of returning one to them for adjustment of the parallax.
I'm also partial to Leupold. I didn't think they would do a custom Parallax adjustment. I knew they did custom reticles. That is also a good option. Glad I posted, just when you think you are out of options I get hit with some GREAT responses.

Thank You All!!!

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I have a few of the Leupolds as well - the 2X and 4X handgun scopes. For shooting at various distancese where adjustments have to be made they still use friction stlye adjustments which to me are not as convenient as click adjustments. At least the 2 I own are equipped this way. The reticle is much thicker in the Leupold scopes which allows less precison in when trying to shoot those one hole groups. The Leupold scopes seem to be more suited to hunting than precise target shooting. Not hat accurate target shooting cannot be perfomed with a Leupold handgun scope.

Of the two Leupolds I like the 2X much better - on my 44 mag revolver I have shot some really good 25 yard groups using that scope! For more precise work - say , dime size groups at 50 yards with my TCs - the Burris with PA is the one I go with.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well looks like the Burris is gone. It went for $154 and the guy didn't even answer my question! Looks like its between the Custom Leupold (Parshooter please send the info) and the Aimpoint. I will keep you guys posted. I would say they are going to come in at the same cost after the custom work on the Leupold, what would be some of your guys opinions between the two?

Thanks,
T. Defense

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Can and 1/2x28

The can on the end is from SoundTech in Pelham, Al. The Brl started out as a 7 in. . I cut it to dupe the S&W optics only brl. Added the Weaver base and then did the threads on the end.
The can is legal all the way! Just wish it was legal to hunt with it in Al.
The aimbrace is from an old Webley airpistol unit. It fits the 41 grip just right so as to give "brace".
I got very into 41's back mid 80's. After learning about the 5" field I got the last one S&W had. That is a long story. So I'll will stick to the 7" not 5 ".
The work was done by Mark White of SounTech. Cutting the threads was tough as the boreline was not centered and getting the thing lined up was a bear. First try was off and we had "touching" so the face had to get trued.
You can balme most of the " 41 fever" on an artical on American Handgunner of Nov/Dec 1987, by Stanley Trzoniec " Prince of Pliinkers.
Hope this will feed your 41 fever, I am giving thought to selling some of my 41 stuff as the 57 year old eyes are not what they were. I would like to further the fever for another "41er".
If I can help ya any more let me know. I have gained so much from this site I ' ll never be able to give as much as I have gotten.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.