Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a bullseye shooter for many years now and have been shooting a High Standard 103 for many of them. I had a sleeved aluminum barrel installed 3 years ago (much lighter) but started throwing flyers all to frequently. In general I dropped about 10 points on my scores from mid 280's to mid 270's. Last night I used a Smith 41 with a 7" barrel and shot a 283 first time out with no flyers. I know the heavier barrel dampens movement but it still surprised me. Well now I have to have one. I'm told there was a point in time that 41's were vended out and the quality was not as good. Something about an "A" in the serial number would tip you off but I dont know if its with or without the "A". I would prefer an older 41 to a new on since generally a new gun wouldnt have the quality of an older one but I need to know which to avoid or which should not command a premium price. Since I havent actually sold a new 41, I havent been able to really look one over. Can anyone give me an idea of the quality and trigger compared to an older 41? I can buy a new one cheaper than an older one.

·
Registered
175 Posts
If you do a search here on 41's it'll answer most any question you might ever have. Also check out the gallery for some decent pics. Anyway, I have shot new ones and old ones, I have never seen a noticed a change in quality. The "A" prefix is a older model. The "A" guns are sought after a bit more because they have a cocking indicator. There are a number of different versions. The biggest difference is the barrel types, roughly nine. Price ranges from $500 and up. I don't think you will go wrong with any model you buy. As for the trigger I never noticed much of a diference, mine is set pretty light. Clark Customs does very good work on 41's. They also make two barrel for it. One has a weaver rail milles into it with no sights, the other has sights.

·
Registered
1 Posts
S&W 41's

Just picked up a new S&W 41 with 7 inch barrel. New Mod 41's are very hard to find. Davis Sporting Goods in Sloatsburg, NY is where I found mine. Haven't shot much with it due to my schedule. Tight groups offhand but I still need to bench it and adjust the sights. I like the trigger. My wife owns a Sig/Hammerli Trailside (top end target) model. I think the trigger on the 41 is better. Both shoot about the same. She has misfeeds with her's and is sending it back to Sigarms to have them look at it.

That 41 cost me $700. My wife's Trailside was just under $600. I looked at a lot of used 41's, all 5 1/2 inch. I wanted the longer sight radius.

Have fun shooting!

·
Registered
631 Posts
I have a Model 41 that was made in the mid 1990's, and it has been nothing but reliable and accurate. Once I found ammo it likes, it has been flawless and has done quite well for Bullseye and informal plinking. If I had to do it again, I would. Other than 1911's, the 41 is the only semi-automatic pistol I love to shoot.

·
Registered
309 Posts
For those that shoot the Model 41 in competition, you may want to check out the Nill Grips for the Model 41 that we just added to our inventory.

The grips are ergonomically contoured match grips and are made by KN Nill-Griffe in Germany. They feature an adjustable hand rest that complies with the regulations of the International Sports Shooters Assocciation, ISSF (Olympic disciplines).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Model 41 Mags

I just got a new 5in model 41 ($750 in TN) and enjoy shooting it but my fingers, especially thumbs, get quite sore and raw (maybe because I am diabetic) loading the mags. Does anyone know of an after-market product that might make loading the mags easier. Never had this problem with my Woodsman clip but model 41"s mags have very small and sharp buttons on mags. Best results with Federal ammo. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
>>I would prefer an older 41 to a new on since generally a new gun wouldnt have the quality of an older one<<

Before you jump to that conclusion (as I once did) get hold of a late model "41", and you might not feel the same way. Mine is an '01 model and is every bit as good and reliable (perhaps more so) than the earlier models. :)

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Signal Mtn Bob wrote:
I just got a new 5in model 41 ($750 in TN) and enjoy shooting it but my fingers, especially thumbs, get quite sore and raw (maybe because I am diabetic) loading the mags. Does anyone know of an after-market product that might make loading the mags easier. Never had this problem with my Woodsman clip but model 41"s mags have very small and sharp buttons on mags. Best results with Federal ammo. Thanks.
I bought a littles gizmo (mag loader) at www.midwayusa.com that works for me. As I remember it was only a few bucks. It says it's for HS, and others but works on my 41 mags. Do a search for mini loader on their site.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Rimfire Sports said:
For those that shoot the Model 41 in competition, you may want to check out the Nill Grips for the Model 41 that we just added to our inventory.

The grips are ergonomically contoured match grips and are made by KN Nill-Griffe in Germany. They feature an adjustable hand rest that complies with the regulations of the International Sports Shooters Assocciation, ISSF (Olympic disciplines).
Nill Grips are the bee's knees!

·
Registered
15,166 Posts
I have a set of Fungs which are great! However, I may have to get a set of Nills as I must have every quality item that can go on a 41! May I ask what that "Man from U.n.c.l.e. sight is in :cool: the last photo?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.