Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for some feedback on this particular rifle. It's a Sears JCH model 30 which the blue book/numrich show was mfg by High Standard. Numrich lists it under JC Higgins and references models 28,29,30. I have a chance to buy one for $125. Metal and wood look 95%, owner states he purchased used in 1953. Did HS ever market this rifle under their own brand- I can't find any reference to show they did. I understand that the Higgins brand isn't really collector material but I'm wondering if anyone has one or knows wether it's worth $125.

·
Registered
884 Posts
$125 is in the generally accepted price range for a Model 30.
It would be nice to know if the rifle cycles okay beforehand if possible since a gun that doesn't can be disappointing.
There's been a lot of posts about these and similar High Standard models made for Sears. Some cycle great and some don't, but most all are good accurate shooters when they do work.

Here's some threads that I found by doing an advanced search in this forum for "Model 30":

1. http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202744&highlight=Model+30

2. http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218750&highlight=Model+30

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply and info. I'm going back today with my bore light and some 22 dummies to ensure it feeds and ejects properly, if so I'm probably going to bring it home. I'm new to the board and really appreciate the chance to get feedback and an education, thanks again:D

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
Don't forget to search for and read the stuff here on Model 31, too, which is very similar. Problems diagnosed and fixed on those should be simliar.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will do. The two links from articap have a ton of info. I also have the AGI professonal gunsmithing course which cover both HS and Higgins rifles in detail.
The feedback I've gotten really makes me feel better about my "probable" purchase. Thanks Again

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
Two years ago, I bought a 31 at a yard sale for $40, having never heard of or seen one before. (The price was right for a "project." After I cleaned years of gunk out of the guts and found out what kind of ammo it liked, it turned out to be a delightful little shooter. My biggest complaint with it is that the receiver dovetails are nonstandard (narrow) and it took me a while to come up with scope rings for it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I picked it up last Friday. Cycles fine, 4.5# trigger which is a pleasant surprise. I believe it's one of the early models as it has the early roll marks, left side bolt and the retractable sling.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Thanks for linking those other posts, arcticap.
I actually just came into possession of my grandfather's Model 30.
It has a long and colorful history and has been the death of many a varmint over the years. Both my father and grandfather have put untold numbers of rounds through it and, despite being well-worn, it is something of an heirloom.
Unfortunately it has suffered a minor part failure, and I'm going to have to try to find a replacement.
I'm also thinking of refinishing the stock, and maybe even having the metal re-blued or duracoated if it's not too difficult to get it into manageable pieces.
At the very least, I want to get it repaired, cleaned, and lubed.
It has been such a great rifle and it would really please my grandfather to see it back in shooting shape.
:bthumb:

·
Registered
143 Posts
looking for some feedback on this particular rifle. It's a Sears JCH model 30 which the blue book/numrich show was mfg by High Standard. Numrich lists it under JC Higgins and references models 28,29,30. I have a chance to buy one for $125. Metal and wood look 95%, owner states he purchased used in 1953. Did HS ever market this rifle under their own brand- I can't find any reference to show they did. I understand that the Higgins brand isn't really collector material but I'm wondering if anyone has one or knows wether it's worth $125.
you will learn to love these little gems the more that you shoot them.
well, the biggie collectors might not seek them out but during the pass three years i have managed to get several; models 29,30,31.
my favorite is the 30. i would say at 95% you got a deal at $125.00 otd.
enjoy
cheers,
sewerman

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
JC Higgins/High Standard Model 30

Hello Birdrock,
I have two of these rifles, a model 30 with a left hand charger and a model 31 with a right hand charger. They actually made the model 30 both ways. These guns are a lot of fun to shoot and they are extremely accurate with the right ammo. (mine like Federal bulk pack 550's from Wal Mart). The trick is, you have to keep them squeaky clean or they start to not feed so well. The upside of this is that it's fairly easy to do. The first time it may seem like kind of a hassle but you learn the ins and outs and after a couple of times you can do it while you watch TV. The left hand charger model 30's are easier to clean because the trigger group and bolt come out easily and the charger mechanism stays in the gun. On the right hand charger models the carger comes out with the bolt and it's kind of a trick getting it back in the first time or two. There are breakdown instructions available on-line that show you exactly what to do. Whatever you do, don't leave a lot of oil in the action after cleaning. Lubricate contact points lightly and then wipe most of that oil away leaving the inside of the action almost dry. Oil tends to mix with primer and powder residue and turn into a grey black sludge that will foul up everything.
Snake45 is quite right about the reciever grooves, they are just a little bit too narrow for standard 3/8" rings. Find and old set of Weaver 3/8" rings or a solid mount and you should be OK. You can also shim a standard set of 3/8" rings.

Bottom line...keep it clean and you'll have a great little shooter!

Have fun!

Kix:bthumb:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello Birdrock,
I have two of these rifles, a model 30 with a left hand charger and a model 31 with a right hand charger. They actually made the model 30 both ways. These guns are a lot of fun to shoot and they are extremely accurate with the right ammo. (mine like Federal bulk pack 550's from Wal Mart). The trick is, you have to keep them squeaky clean or they start to not feed so well. The upside of this is that it's fairly easy to do. The first time it may seem like kind of a hassle but you learn the ins and outs and after a couple of times you can do it while you watch TV. The left hand charger model 30's are easier to clean because the trigger group and bolt come out easily and the charger mechanism stays in the gun. On the right hand charger models the carger comes out with the bolt and it's kind of a trick getting it back in the first time or two. There are breakdown instructions available on-line that show you exactly what to do. Whatever you do, don't leave a lot of oil in the action after cleaning. Lubricate contact points lightly and then wipe most of that oil away leaving the inside of the action almost dry. Oil tends to mix with primer and powder residue and turn into a grey black sludge that will foul up everything.
Snake45 is quite right about the reciever grooves, they are just a little bit too narrow for standard 3/8" rings. Find and old set of Weaver 3/8" rings or a solid mount and you should be OK. You can also shim a standard set of 3/8" rings.

Bottom line...keep it clean and you'll have a great little shooter!

Have fun!

Kix:bthumb:
I also have one of the moel 30's. Mine is very accurate with Federal HV HP's. It came with one of the small 15mm scopes that needed a ton of adjustment to get sighted in. I exchanged the 15mm for a old Leupold 4x in 1975. It will shoot 3/4" groups at 25 yards. Nice balance and reliability.

Circle 3

·
Registered
392 Posts
Well, I managed to get a couple of replacement parts for mine.
The stock restoration is well underway and I'm about to send the metal parts off to be re-coated.
After that, once I get it back together, I'll have to see if it's still as accurate as it used to be. :bthumb:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.