Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Model 12CS not firing

280 Views 4 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  Jimmy S
I have an old 12cs that won't fire, everything appears to be in good working order, firing pin looks like new etc. Hava changed out the pin and breech bolt and it still just dents the rim, but won't fire the bullet. It's frustrating as I have been messing with this thing for several years and had it in to 2 gunsmiths who both charged me and said here you go it's all fixed..... I don't think either of them fired a round thru it, especially the second one who installed a new 22 lr,l,s breech bolt instead of the one for 22 Special!

Any suggestions before I use it as a jack handle?

Thanks,
Jimmy S
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
602 Posts
Possibly a weak hammer spring?

Hi Jimmy S,

That cranky Model 12CS again, huh? Well, not being a gunsmith myself, the only thing I can think of is a weak hammer spring, or some restriction rubbing on the hammer spring or hammer. Does it look like there is a proper depth and length dent in the unfired cartridges from the firing pin? The dent from the firing pin MUST be fairly faint to not fire the cartridge. :( :confused:

Hossfeathers

· Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hossfeathers,

it's a faint dent, spring feels okay but I'm no gunsmith either. By the way I'll let you know how that 1890 WRF barrel off eBay looks...........

Jimmy S

aka "jsherman66"

· Registered
602 Posts
How about that!

Hi JImmy S,

Well, I'll be hornswoggled! I see you figured out I was the second highest bidder on that barrel. I tried by E-mail to find out all kinds of things about the barrel, including the condition of the bore, but didn't have much success, as the seller indicated he/she didn't know much about such things as gun barrels. I would be interested in what you think of the barrel, as it was made in the early 1920s and has a good chance of having a good bore. And the outside finish didn't look half bad. The price wasn't bad, either. Is this the barrel you were/are planning to use to replace the one on your WRF?

Hossfeathers

· Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's funny, when the auction was over I thought I'd look at the bid(s) that pushed mine up, we think alike...... you had $76.76 and I bid $77.77! Weird.

The answer I got from the seller is the bore is good, I too figured that being a later barrel and the outside condition that it may be a good one.

This barrel will go on the last 1890 that I picked up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.