Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have some questions for you guys. I saw BigMike's posting on how to date when the gun was made and have dated all my old remingtons except one.
Have a model 121 pump that has DKP markings. I concluded the D was for Sept. and the K was for 1941, what does the P mean?
Also the remington site shows tha 121 being made in eight variations.
A,D.E.F,ES.FS,SB, and S. How can I tell which one I have? It just says(The FieldMaster Model 121.) I know it is not the smoothbore.
A friend told me remington didn't produce rifles in 1941 because they went into war production in 1939, he was probably wrong. thanks

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
If all it says is 121 then it should be the "A" model. The "S" model should be the .22 WRF, and the "SB" should be the smoothbore. The others are higher grades of the standard model and should be marked as such on the gun.
Not for sure about that P, maybe someone else has an idea there.
As far as war time production. Most every Company in the US that had the machinary and tooling was working for the Government in one way or another. I dont think Remington ever shut down production of the commercial line during the war but it probly slowed them down.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Raker, I have several remington .22's with 3 barrel number markings, in all the cases the first number is the month, the second is the year and the third is unknown, I tend to think the third number is a inspectors mark because if a remington .22 does not have 3 numbers they almost always have a inspectors mark (a mushroom or some other device) in the same location as the third number. But do not know for sure, I have 1941, 1942, 1944 and 1945 remington .22's, had a another collector show me a Remington 512 which he bought new in 1943. rifles were available, but .22 ammo was very hard to find (all ammo was going to the war effort) He hunted and traded rabbits (meat was rationed also) to a local butcher for black market .22 ammo.(the butcher traded the butchered rabbits to a hardware store owner for the ammo) Good luck with your 121, I have one with a redfield peep which I love. I think the 121 is one of the finest pumps ever made. Olypenn22

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
The reference I have states,that beyond the two digit date code,or three digit for the years 1943 to 1954."Other imprints are process marks indicating completion of the various steps in manufacturing and inspection process.Due to placement of some of the stamps and the use of repeat letters,reading the codes on some barrels can be difficult in some cases".My guess is the 1941 date is correct.boley

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Barrel markings

Thanks guys. You enlighted me on the barrel markings.
The first two letters D & K are in perfect alignment. the P is slightly out of line as if it was added later by someone else. thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.