Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody here have one of these rifles? I would be interested to know what you thought of them. I defenatly want a mod. 63, but they are hard to find, there are three or four 74's in my area for sale but I don't know anything about them.

·
Registered
128 Posts
They are very well thought of among those who have them -- do a search here on the Winchester forum. We have had at least one thread with a bunch of replies from 74 owners, and lots of enthusiastic responses. My dad's 74 will average 0.5" for 6, 5shot groups at 50 yards with a good lot of Eley Standard ammo.
john

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I had trouble searching because just using 74 wasn't enough info. I am sure gonna look at the 74's in my area carefully, probally bring one home with me.:D

·
Registered
961 Posts
Good Shooter!

I was one of the 74 fanclub that sang it's prases in the post mentioned upthread, Still love mine, a 1941 .22LR.
They turn up with fair regularity now, probably as part of the original owners estates:(
If you come across a specemin 90% or better, GET IT! = this model is becoming more popular, and will probably go the way of the Model 63 autoloader and get MUCH more expensive. :mad:

Example: I paid $120 for mine 2 years ago, a 95% overall specemin.....Last Friday I looked over a 1940 80% example at the same dealer I got mine from - Asking price was $250. FIRM!:rolleyes:
Better hurry up!:eek:

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
YES!! I have2 Winchester model 74, both LR versions. They both R 1/2" guns at 50 yards. The thing that makes them unique is that U can clean them FROM THE REAR!!!!!!!!!
They do need cleaned,Especially the bolt, if U want it 2 feed all types of ammo well.
They R MAN SIZE rifles and R ideal for small game. Most ones I have seen were not dovetailed. I installed Weaver bases on mine and am very pleased.
Good Luck.

2 Day is the 1st day of the rest of your life.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I GOT ONE !

I picked up a mod. 74 a couple days ago. I got the best one in my area, one had a crack in the stock. Another had most of the blueing removed by acid or something, and was pitted. Mine is about 85%, but it has been drilled and tapped for scope mounting. Don't know if I'll scope it or not. Been having much fun shooting it the way it is :D :D :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
74 winchester

In 1979 or 80 my buddy told me we should buy all the '74's and 9422's we coud get our hands on. I didn't and he did. He was buying 74's for around 65=70 dollars. I just bought one about a wk ago that was shorts only. Really nice 90% overall, and paid 165.00 and felt like i stold it. Like Hippie said. Clean, and Clean! and you'll love the gun.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.