1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Mint Model 62 Gallery Gun

zucksrq,

Remember, these rifles are chambered for the .22 Short...! ! :eek:

Model 62 Gallery Gun: [1932 - 1958]

The standard Model 62 and 62A in mint [98%] condition would be worth ~ $550.
Pre-War model is M62, distinguishable by its small forearm. The M62A was introduced in 1940 at SN 99200 with minor changes. Model 62A 'single caliber' barrel markings do not add a premium. The .22 Short only models without the Winchester roll die receiver marking are more scarce than the 'so called' "Gallery Rifle" : mint specimens without the roll die marking are approx. $1,000.. "Gallery" variations of these models will command a sizable premium. ["Blue Book of Gun Values", 20th Ed.]
Hope this helps...! ! :)

·
Registered
818 Posts
62 and 62A Gallery Guns

I have one of each and they are seriously fun to shoot. The bolt mechanism is strange but fun to watch. The 62A was my first Winchester and I was fascinated how well the gun digested shorts, longs and LR with no jams. Mine is in like new condition and I paid $600 for it. The 62 is scarcer and uses leaf type springs in the tang mechanism. There is a intangible 'fun quotient" that the gallery guns have in spades. I would not worry about how much I paid for the gun (within reason), I would look for a gun that has seen little use. The old 1890 and 1906 versions are popular as restoration projects, even a junker goes for $150.00 so you investment is safe.

·
Registered
15 Posts
BigMike. I hate to sound stupid since I do have alot of old winchesters which include a 62A in about 85%. but I only gave 90.00 for it. {30.00 yrs ago haha} What is 'roll die reciever'?
Thanks again for the helpful info ..... Dale bygod

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
'roll die receiver'

dalebygod,

IIRC, a 'roll die receiver' is a receiver with a roll marked "Gallery", whereas most all Winchesters are roll marked on their barrels.
It seems I saw one at a gun show a few years back, and I was surprised by the marking. I do not have one, or even a picture reference.... :eek:

·
Registered
15 Posts
ok big mike. I think i do understand now. where would you find the roll die on the receiver? My 62A has a serial #116438 in the usual position and a small W below that, just in front of the trigger, {about 1/2" below the serial #'s} Like I said, It really makes no difference what is't worth cause it was my grandpa, but thanks for the info.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Gallery

dalebygod,

If I remember correctly, it is on the side of the receiver:

Gallery

It has been a long time since I have seen one so marked...! ! :eek:

·
Registered
2,205 Posts

I bought my 62 about 20 years ago. It is in excellent condition however the person who owned it before me put 15 notches (neatly filed) in the comb. I suppose it was a young boy and I suppose they represented squirrels, groundhogs, rabbits, etc. bagged. They were done a long time ago and I always thought it added "character" to the gun.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.