Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a model 60 that does not feed right. The bolt hits the case on the side when it closes. The bullet is headed for the chamber and the rim is under the bolt. I have cleaned and oiled the action very good. If this does not make any sense let me know and I will try to explain better. Any help will be appriciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What type of ammo are you using. I found that Wildcats Jam in my gun constantly. I switched to Remington Hollow Points and Winchester Hollow points and i havn't had one Jam yet?

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
squirrelman,

It sounds as though your feed mechanism & lifter are dirty, gummed-up with oil and powder fouling...! ! :(

Clean the action and feed / lifter mechanism with "Gun Scrubber" [CAUTION: keep off of any wood finishes, plastics, etc.]; lube the action with a Dry Teflon spray lube: "Rem" 'Dri-Lube' or "Black & Decker" 'Dry Lube' or "CLP".

Do NOT use oil....! ! :( :(

Good Luck....! ! :)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Welcome to the world of 'junk.'

I literally WORE OUT a model 60 and it now does this ALL THE TIME! Look at the aluminum feedblock, I bet you've worn it out, or the mainspring or ... There's a lot to these junky rifle to break down. I need to replace three or four parts in mine currently that have simply worn out. The part, btw, cost more than another used Model 60! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use a graphite pencil to lube the bolt and reciever area, seems to work ok. Ive had my Mod. 60 for 7 years and have shot countless thousands of rounds through it and have never, ever broken a single part, its been a good gun, although its a bit finicky when dirty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have EXACTLY the same problem with my 60! I`ve had it for 16 years and shot bazillions of rounds through it (well maybe not quite that many). It was always rock solid reliable until a few years ago when it started up. Now it`s so bad I can`t shoot it at all. I detail stripped the gun and cleaned it super well (yes the trigger group is a bear). I deburred and lightly polished and places that looked like they needed it and replaced the lifter spring and recoil spring with parts from Wolff. No luck,same old thing. In desperation I bought a 10/22,which never shot near as well as the old Marlin and never really suited me. I traded it and now I`m thinking I`d like to get the old Marlin working again. Any other ideas on what it might be? Marcus

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had nothing but problems for a year. it jammed all the time.

Then I took the sucker apart and took a water hose to the action. All sorts of grit and what looked like metal shavings came out. That made it better.

but it still jammed a bit. I started storing it with the bolt locked back. I did that for about 3 months, broke that spring in, that made it work great.

I have had it now for 6 years, I have put thousands of round in it. it jams every once and a while, but not very often. and its as accurate as a more expencive rifle.

I love it now, I would not give it up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
HA HA I FIXED IT, I FIXED IT!!!!!!! :D It appears that after gazillions of rounds it wore down the alloy feed block. This increased the feed angle of the rounds and caused them to hangup on the edge of the chamber just long enough to allow the bolt to hit it. The fix? I just took a bullet shaped polishing tip and red rouge on my trusty Dremmel and just barely broke the 90 degree edge on the chamber and lightly polished it. Voila! I put about 250rds. of 3 brands of ammo through it this weekend and instead of jamming literally every other round it didn`t choke once! Ah,my baby is back! :D Marcus

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.