Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im soon to install a new XP recoil spring, on an extra recoil guide I have mainly so I can safely shoot hyper velocity stuffthrough my MKII . Im wondering how this is supposed to be done. Anyone have any experience? Ive heard it can be frustrating.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks yz guy

Thanks for the info, Ive used your site so many times it aint funny. Its well done. Actually Im looking for a way to remove the spring from the recoil guide rod. I know it can be done. I wonder if people simply pry off the end of the assembly.

·
Registered
154 Posts
you know what? I never even looked at how the spring comes off the rod. I just figured it did somehow. I just now looked at mine, and it seems that one end of the rod (the rear) has the ends bent closed over the U thing, and the front end is slightly deformed after putting on the Half moon thing. So to get it off, I would probably compress the spring somehow (holding it compressed, C-Clamp maybe?) so that the half moon piece can be slid down the rod a bit. Then grind on the tip a little until you get it back to round so the half moon thing can slide off.

Then to get everything to go back together I'd probably try to make only one part of the tip of the rod stick out just a little, then take out a notch from the hole in the half moon thing. Kinda like a Key type thing. Not sure how well I could do that though because you don't want to enlarge the hole, just make one little notch in it so when it is ligned up with the one part of the rod that sticks out it will slide over it. Then you could slide it over the tip of the rod, and twist it to get it to stay on. Also don't worry about the the little burr on the rod being the only thing that holds it on for function, when it is installed the bur (or deformed part of the rod) is not needed, it is only there to keep things together when you pull out the spring assembly from the bolt.

or if you want the real answer of what people actually do, just email bill at OnTarget... :)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey yzguy...I kinda worked my way through it. I retracted the spring and "half moon" thingy, and whacked the tip with a hammer to flatten it out a bit. This allowed the spring to come off. I then put polished the guide rod, and put the new xp spring on. this was than retracted again(held with a vice grip), and I whacket the end again with a hammer to get it to platten out. Its held up pretty well. Took it to the range yesterday...worked great. I need to test it with stingers now, but velocitors and federal bulk pack worked great. I like the idea of having the xp assembly for "insurance" while firing the hyper velocity stuff. Recoil is a little different, Id say more "flip" than before. Since this asssembly isnt meant for the target ammo, i dont care.

Man these guns are too fun, Its addicting. I know im not a gunsmith, but I enjoy these "improvements"...hehe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.