Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A good friend sold me a MKII for a measly 120.00$ Before anyone thinks I got over, I must tell the whole story. He owns a pawn shop and as luck would have it, some one pawned it. After purchasing it, he realized it was missing the magazine. Later he tried to shoot it, it didn't fire. I have repaired guns for him in the past, and asked me if I wanted to purchase it for what he had in it. Without giving it much thought, I bought it. So far I have found the locking latch behind the grip is stuck. My question is:
Is there a company that sells replacement barrels?
How does the barrel come off?
Does any aftermarket company make magazines?
Can they be upgraded with better components?
Thanks in advance for your advice.

· Registered
1,506 Posts
There's a lot you can do with this pistol. As greener suggested above you should go to my web help page for detail stripping and this one to help with disassembly http://www.guntalk-online.com/TroubleshootingPage.htm Once you get it apart you'll be able to diagnose the problem and repair it. Could just be a minor problem and a little TLC will fix it.

When you say the mainsping locking latch is stuck what exactly do you mean; is the latch lever stuck, or does the latch open but the housing stuck in the frame?

The answers will determine the remedy.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

· Registered
307 Posts
Is there a company that sells replacement barrels?
How does the barrel come off?
Does any aftermarket company make magazines?
Can they be upgraded with better components?
Thanks in advance for your advice.
You can get a complete upper with receiver from a few places, like Tactical Solutions - I am not aware of bare aftermarket replacement barrels. A barrel swap requires a gunsmith's services.

Why do you want to remove the barrel? Do you mean the upper, so you can clean it? Once the take down pin is removed, the receiver and barrel assembly needs to be smacked lightly forward, so it will disengage at the front frame lug. You may need to whack it on a padded surface, or _carefully_ use a deadblow mallet.

Use Ruger mags - they are cheap and reliable.

Oh yeah, upgrades... how much cash do you want to spend? Start with a new trigger.

John Davies
Spokane WA

· Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow. Thanks for suggestions. I meant the take down lever unlocks, but the shaft that goes through the receiver seems to be lodged on the firing pin or something. I'll update in about a week. I'm in the middle of reassembling an M1 Garand a reseve buddy sold me. My MKII has a barrel that is about 6" long, I was thinking of getting a 4" heavy barrel, depending on cost.

· Registered
1,506 Posts
Jim,

Your bolt stop pin is stuck in the receiver. This is a relatively simple fix which requires a little tapping with a mallet and a hardwood dowel or brass punch. To remove the pin tap it out downwards from the top of the receiver using the dowel/punch. But before you do, you should check to ensure that the pivot pin has not slid to one side of the frame, essentially locking the housing into the frame like the door on a safe. You're going to have to use a feeler gauge to check the sides in between the frame and housing to ensure that the pin is in place. Here's a picture to show exactly were to check.

As long as the gauge slides in both sides without hitting anything you're good to go with tapping out the bolt stop pin from the top of the receiver.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

· Registered
1,506 Posts
You have to carefully tap on the opposite side of the frame, across from where the pin is sticking out, with a rubber mallet until it is reseated. This action will drift the pin toward the rubber mallet by inertia and seat it. Depending on how far the pin sticks out, this procedure can be a time consuming task. Plus you have to keep checking it with the feeler gauge to see if the pin is seated, as you don't want the pin traveling out of the other side of the housing. Then you have to remove the mainspring housing and restake the pivot pin with a pointed punch. It needs a heavier dimple to stay locked in place.

This is not a difficult task but can be a time eater. It may test your patience and temperance.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

· Registered
620 Posts
Thanks, Bullseye

Jeremy

You have to carefully tap on the opposite side of the frame, across from where the pin is sticking out, with a rubber mallet until it is reseated. This action will drift the pin toward the rubber mallet by inertia and seat it. Depending on how far the pin sticks out, this procedure can be a time consuming task. Plus you have to keep checking it with the feeler gauge to see if the pin is seated, as you don't want the pin traveling out of the other side of the housing. Then you have to remove the mainspring housing and restake the pivot pin with a pointed punch. It needs a heavier dimple to stay locked in place.

This is not a difficult task but can be a time eater. It may test your patience and temperance.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

· Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wanted to thank all of you, especially Bullseye57, I got the pistol apart. It was jammed tight by the classic mistake with the hammer pin not in the right slot. I feel I got a bargain for 120.00 minus the magazine. Unfortunately, my son has already claimed this pistol.

· Registered
1,506 Posts
I'm happy to hear that you've got it solved Jim. Enjoy that pistol. You got a great deal - a lot of pistol for just a few bucks. I thought that it was a relatively simple problem and now that it's fixed you should get a lot of enjoyment out of it, no matter who has claims on it.

There's lots of upgrades for these pistols. You can upgrade the trigger to a lighter weight. How about an extended magazine release? Add some different grips, or even a red dot sight. Extra magazines are plentiful for around $20. A good place to look for aftermarket parts for your Mark II is Rimfire Sports and Custom. Try this link Mark II accessories

My web help pages have some good illustrations and directions for adding in these upgrades. And as you found, if you have a problem ask on a forum like RFC and you'll get plenty of assistance.

Enjoy!

R,
Bullseys

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.