Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im leaning towards the buckmark. is there a big difference in accuracy and reliability between the two?

or should i go with the taurus 9 shot revolver? s&w cost too much. this is just for fun not self defense.

·
Premium Member
30,682 Posts
I would stay with the pistols if you are not going to the S&W revolver.
The MK III and the BuckMark are both good pistols. I have a couple of Rugers and no BuckMarks, but I do have many of their predecessors, the Challengers/Medalists. The Ruger has a lot of accessories available for it and the accuracy is probably very close between the two. The BuckMark has an advantage, IMHO, because of the ergonomics and the ability to change barrels with ease. I also think that the BuckMark has a better factory trigger. If I were buying one I would go to a local range and see if someone has one, of each, that you can shoot. The best answer to your question is to see what works for you. For me, and I don't even own one, I would buy the BuckMark. The tough decision is which model of the BuckMark.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Good advice above.

I own both ruger mkII 22/45 and buckmark camper.

Factory buckmark trigger is better than ruger. Aftermarket volquartzen sear, and the ruger is leaps and bounds nicer trigger than the buckmark.

Both are quality pieces, and accurate as well. I prefer the Ruger hands down. In my experience, the ruger is more reliable as well, but I have few issues with the buckmark.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I would probably give a slight reliability edge to the Rugers. The Buck Mark sight base screws tend to loosen up, you can loose the washers or mess up the threads because you have to remove them to clean the pistol. Solved by having replacements handy.

Other than the sight base "not-much-of-a-problem" the Standard is very comparable to my Rugers. I tend to favor the Rugers slightly, but that's just my preference. I think it is simply a matter of which one feels best to you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just went through the same dilemma a month ago. I wanted a .22 pistol and was looking at the p22 and mosquito. I then decided I wanted to get into bullseye shooting so I scrapped the p22 and the sig and started looking at buckmarks, rugers and Smith and Wesson. I ended up going with the Ruger Mark III 22/45 in a 5 1/2 inch blued barrel. I love this gun. It is reliable and accurate. I was a little bit aprehesive about cleaning due to the all the horror stories but I disassembled, cleaned and reasempled on my 1st try. I just followed the instructions very slowly. The 22/45 feels natural to me because it has the 1911 grip which is what my XD-9 has so I am used to the grip. It has a very nice weight and is farily easy to hold steady with one hand. If you decided to go with the ruger I dont think you will be disapointed. The buckmarks are great guns too but yo uhave to pay attention to what model you get, some are better then others. With rugers, they are all great.

·
Registered
10,972 Posts
The ruger and buckmark are both good pistols.

I would stay away from the Taurus model 94 revolver, mine broke the first time I shot it and Taurus had it 8 weeks to fix it.

But no more problems since I got it back but double action is a very hard trigger pull. For a revolver a S&W 617 is hard to beat.............:D

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
I've never shot a Browning, except maybe a few rounds with a borrowed one at the range, but I've never heard anything "bad" about them other than the couple of issues that Greener mentioned, and they're not major ones.

I've got a couple of Rugers, and the big "knock" on them is a lot of people seem to think they're difficult to field stirp and put back together. They are the first time or two, but if you follow the directions, it's not exactly brain surgery. If you can clean a fishing reel, you can clean a Ruger.

If you want a really nice revolver for less than a Smith & Wesson, (but more than a Taurus) see if you can find a Dan Wesson. They're out of business, but they made a GREAT 22. I know, I've got one. You might find one on Gunbroker.

I've got a Smith & Wesson 17 on layaway. Before too long I hope to be able to tell you how it stacks up against the Dan Wesson. ;)

·
Registered
379 Posts
Between the Buckmark and the Ruger, I'd call it a wash - both good all-around choices with their own little quirks. Buy which ever one appeals to you and it should serve you well.

I happen to have a Taurus 94 that works very well and is very accurate and came with a better single-action trigger-break than my VQ-enhanced MKIII (the DA is rather heavy) - but it took a little gunsmithing to make it run right. Still, it was worth it. If I were looking today - instead of the Taurus 94, I would scrape up a little more money (twice the price?) and buy the S&W model 63 which is now available in 5". It has been reported to be very accurate, and the S&W sights alone make it more desirable than the 94.

As with the T94 (and stock Rugers and entry-level Buckmarks for that matter), the S&W 63 is not a serious competition gun - but the S&W 617 is. The 617 is a great revolver - but too heavy, IMO, for extended informal shooting.

One thing that might make a difference to you is that S&W and Ruger are both well-known for great customer service.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I have the MKII GC and two buckmarks - the hunter and camo camper. All three are great pistols. Would have to agree that the only issue I've had with the camper is tightening the sight base from time to time. This is easily solvable with just a tish of blue loctite that still can be applied. And I mean just a touch.
I would handle both the Ruger and Buckmarks and see what fits your grip most comfortably. I like them both. The trigger on my Ruger is as equaly good as the Buckmarks.
You cannot go wrong with either.

·
Premium Member
30,682 Posts
The Ruger and Browning are both good guns, but the best way is to go to the local range or gun club and try both of them to see which one fits you the best. You can't just hold one and tell, especially since you shouldn't dry fire a rimfire firearm.

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
------------------- You can't just hold one and tell--------------
Absolutely. More than a few shooters have showed up at our range with pistols that felt just perfect at the gun shop. Then after trying other pistols they wished they'd have taken their time and tried a few others.

In our club we often have shooters become interested in rimfire pistol shooting because we have an active team in a league. The first order of business is to try to convince them they need to come out and use our various pistols BEFORE heading to the gun shop.............chim

Now go get yourself a Buck Mark (Sorry, couldn't resist:D )

·
Premium Member
30,682 Posts
Absolutely. More than a few shooters have showed up at our range with pistols that felt just perfect at the gun shop. Then after trying other pistols they wished they'd have taken their time and tried a few others.

In our club we often have shooters become interested in rimfire pistol shooting because we have an active team in a league. The first order of business is to try to convince them they need to come out and use our various pistols BEFORE heading to the gun shop.............chim

Now go get yourself a Buck Mark (Sorry, couldn't resist:D )
Actually, I recommend them over the Ruger and I don't even own one. The Ruger is not as ergonomic for most people and it isn't easy to change barrels along with it usually having a worse trigger from the factory. If it feels better than the BuckMark for an individual, I would recommend them buying it because it is a good gun. I like mine:D. If I were buying one (and only one) of the two, and didn't have my Challengers or Medalists, then I would buy the BuckMark.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, which one?

I have a Ruger 22/45 and two Buckmarks, One of the Buckmarks wears a 2X Leupold. I perfer the Buckmarks since my hands are large with long fingers. The Buckmarks just fit better with a bit more "hand filling" qualities. I also have S&W's, Models 17, 18, 41 and 63. I shot the 41 at the NRA Nationals at Camp Perry. Also included is a old High Standard Model 106. All in all .22 handguns are the way to shoot plenty and build skill and confidence. Pick the one that suits you best.

Circle 3

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
It is a matter of individual preference. I prefer the Brownings but own and shoot both brands. The Brownings get much more range time. There's only one steel-framed Ruger in the safe because of the feel (hot deal on a Government Target that couldn't be passed up). My older Belgian Brownings have roughly the same grip angle as the steel-framed Rugers but for some reason they feel "right". My scores are higher with Buck Marks, and recently a Challenger has been THE gun. Below is my favorite Challenger with a 50 foot 50 round Timed/Rapid target. Grip is a spare ground-down Nomad grip with mounds of skateboard tape on one side. The original grip hasn't been touched.

My favorite Rugers are the MKII 22/45's but their grips still need some minor fiddling around with for me. One has some unattractive but functional strips of skateboard tape. The one below underwent some reshaping. The difference between monkeying around with grips on the 22/45 and other pistols is that they are part of the frame on the 22/45. It's not a matter of hitting them with the Dremel, then deciding you don't care for the outcome. There's no pulling the original grips off the shelf and going back to the original..............chim

·
Premium Member
30,682 Posts
With the small piece of rail on the Challenger, I like the proportions. Right now there's a tube type on it. If I weren't a frugal kind of guy I'd LOVE to have one of these, but WOW, they're kinda pricey:

http://www.tactical-store.com/ts-ai-rd-11830.html
That sight looks awesome. LOOK, they are on sale for $522.:D I like it but I think that I will wait until the price comes down. When the optics cost a lot more than the gun, it reminds me of the "old days" when a cowboy would have a $200 saddle on a $50 horse:D .

·
Registered
152 Posts
I had the same dilemma and went with the Buckmark because of feel....But....There is now a MKIII in my safe also...Both are great shooters.

·
Banned
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks for all the replies. i should also mention i will not do any modifications at all. i want a .22 pistol to use out of the box only. i should also say that i will be using it for gator hunting for 7 foot gators and smaller, .44 mag for the big ones. so reliability is most important. i want the one that is the least picky about ammo cause i want to shoot a lot of the cheapest bulk .22 ammo.

i see sig has a new .22 pistol:

http://www.academy.com/index.php?pa...s_rimfire&start=0&selectedSKU=0355-40882-0001

any opinions on that one? should i stick with ruger or buckmark?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.