Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started having light strikes with Eley ammo. Fires SK most of the time. I have completely disassembled the bolt. Nothing obvious. Savage will only ship a replacement firing pin to a FFL. Any aftermarket firing pins available?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Is your action clean ? I've found in my A & B22s that they collect powder and cra- if there's too much oil/lube inside. That could slow down the hammer.
Also, have you looked at 'where' on the rim the pin is hitting ? And what the hits look like? Small, deep marks are what you want; if the marks are 'wide' the force is spreading out too much - wear can do that too.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had already completely cleaned the bolt inside and out. I "may" have fixed it last night. I removed some of the metal on the firing pin right above the portion that strikes the rim of the case and took a little off the bottom "leg" of the FP. I was only able to fire 5 rounds in my basement range last night before my wife yelled at me. The rim of Eley rounds is much harder/thicker than the SK. My friend with a FFL is going to order a new FP today. What moron at Savage decided that the firing pin and spring must be shipped to a FFL?

·
Registered
775 Posts
Their lawyer decided. The lawyer decided that because there are people just barely smart enough to get out of bed in the morning so no one should be allowed to do anything.

But you have described how to increase firing pin protrusion without damaging the breech face. I did the same on mine many years ago as well as making the active part of the tip of the firing pin slightly narrower so it hits biased toward the center of the case instead of on the rim only. The change was only about .004" and it has worked very well since then.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I started having light strikes with Eley ammo. Fires SK most of the time. I have completely disassembled the bolt. Nothing obvious. Savage will only ship a replacement firing pin to a FFL. Any aftermarket firing pins available?
I was having the same problem with a MK2. I actually did the same thing you did, file the top half of the firing pin. Worked like new again.
I paid a local FFL a fee to call Savage and order the part. I'll keep my modified one as a backup.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts