Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
I think you may find it very hard to find out the true accuracy of the Savage bolt actions. Unless there is something wrong with the gun, I'm convinced they are very accurate, and in many cases more so than the shooter, scope, ammo, & range conditions that they end up having to live with.

My suspicion is that except for the very experienced benchrest shooters who shoot well and understand all the issues, the gun is not the limiting factor. So when you get numbers on the group size it can do, they are much more likely to reflect the quality of ammo used, the wind conditions, the scope quality, the shooter experience, than they are a reflection of the gun.

This said I believe the best 5 shot group size I have shot is about 0.214". That is estimated at 50 yards. It was actually shot indoors at 40 yards so no wind influence. The actual 40 yard centre to center size would be 20% less than that.

I have only shot eight 5 shot groups with what I would call really good ammo - Lapua Master M and L. Here is all of them with none cut out. I think I could do a little better with Lapua Midas M, but I did not shoot any 5 shot groups with it. Best size is 0.223", but of course the average is much higher. I strongly suspect that it is not the gun that is causing the higher group sizes, but me. I'm not that experienced a shooter at benchrest.

http://www3.telus.net/Ron_AKA/LapuaMasterM25-08.jpg
http://www3.telus.net/Ron_AKA/Lapua Master L March 25-08.jpg

Here is the lower quality ammo (Lapua Super Club) and in these, the ammo is making a difference, in addition to the shooter. See the bottom left target as an example of a dropped shot, probably due to a low velocity round. This ammo did however give the best group of them all at 0.214". These are the only six 5 shot groups I have shot with this ammo.

http://www3.telus.net/Ron_AKA/LapuaSuperClub25-08.jpg

So to answer your question on how accurate is the Savage BTVS, my estimate is that an experienced benchrest shooter (not me), with an indoor 50 yard range, and a 36X or 45X target quality scope, and Lapua Midas M or better ammo, should be able to average around 1/4", with some groups much better.

I have a few targets using Winchester Dynapoints and Federal Champions. However, there is no point in showing them as they are 2-4 times larger. This is just a demonstration of the inconsistency of inexpensive bulk ammo, and not a reflection of the gun or the shooter - I hope :) .

Ron

·
Registered
152 Posts
My best 5 shot 50yd group was 3/8". More normally I expect to see 1/2"-5/8" when I'm not trying too hard. So far, SK Std+ has proved itself to be the ammo of choice, although I've not tried any of the really high-end stuff yet. Bulk packs and minimags shoot around 3/4" to 1-1/4" or so.

My gun is a "Dicks special" BTVXP (blued thumb-hole heavy barrel)

·
Registered
183 Posts

I have only shot eight 5 shot groups with what I would call really good ammo - Lapua Master M and L. Here is all of them with none cut out. I think I could do a little better with Lapua Midas M, but I did not shoot any 5 shot groups with it. Best size is 0.223", but of course the average is much higher. I strongly suspect that it is not the gun that is causing the higher group sizes, but me. I'm not that experienced a shooter at benchrest.

http://www3.telus.net/Ron_AKA/LapuaMasterM25-08.jpg
http://www3.telus.net/Ron_AKA/Lapua Master L March 25-08.jpg

Here is the lower quality ammo (Lapua Super Club) and in these, the ammo is making a difference, in addition to the shooter. See the bottom left target as an example of a dropped shot, probably due to a low velocity round. This ammo did however give the best group of them all at 0.214". These are the only six 5 shot groups I have shot with this ammo.

http://www3.telus.net/Ron_AKA/LapuaSuperClub25-08.jpg

So to answer your question on how accurate is the Savage BTVS, my estimate is that an experienced benchrest shooter (not me), with an indoor 50 yard range, and a 36X or 45X target quality scope, and Lapua Midas M or better ammo, should be able to average around 1/4", with some groups much better.

I have a few targets using Winchester Dynapoints and Federal Champions. However, there is no point in showing them as they are 2-4 times larger. This is just a demonstration of the inconsistency of inexpensive bulk ammo, and not a reflection of the gun or the shooter - I hope :) .

Ron
Ron,
What scope was on your gun for those groups and what was the bench setup?
Thanks,
Ron

·
Registered
179 Posts
I get .5" groups with SOME bulk ammo. 5 shots at 50 yards.

Win 37gr hp I get .5 also. should do the trick on tree rats and gophers.
Yep. Me too. I went to the range yesterday with my MK II BV and shot several .5" groups with Winchester Dynapoints (bulk box). Fed 510's will group that well also, but like the Dynapoints, I get an occasional flier. If I can find some Wolf Match I think I could be more consistant and tighten my groups.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have to agree with Ron AKA. I doubt the limiting factor will be your gun. it will be the shooter/setup first and then the caliber. I have shot many a sub .5" group at 50 with some brands of bulk ammo. I do reasonably well at 200 yds. (Once I fire a few to see how bad the wind is screwing with me;) )
What I have to master is the windage/elevation and such. Everything is a factor with a little 36gr bullet. I can't handload .22's either so the quality of the ammo makes a lot of difference. I could do a lot better if I shot the high dollar stuff.
These are the reasons that I shoot the .22. It is a heck of a training tool for larger calibers.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Ron,
What scope was on your gun for those groups and what was the bench setup?
Thanks,
Ron
I have a Bushnell Banner 6-18X50AO. Targets shot at 18X of course. I just have a standard small rest up front and sandbag at rear. Some were shot with a front and rear connected rest (Benchmaster), but I really didn't notice much difference.

Ron

·
Registered
257 Posts
BTVS accuracy

I just bought a Savage Mark II BTVS, used, for about half price. I really didn't need it because I have a Mark II BV, but we can always rationalize a good excuse for another rifle. The guy didn't clean it because "it was stainless and they don't need cleaning."

The bolt was black with crap and had a tinge of rust on the front. The barrel was really dirty. After cleaning the barrel and getting slivers of lead out of it, and cleaning and lubricating the bolt, I mounted a Tasco Mildot 2.5-10 Varmint scope on it.

After zeroing, I fired five groups of five rounds each. Scope was set on 8x. They all went under one half inch at 50 yards.

As I am in southern Manitoba, and the primary use of my .22s is gophers, I then headed for a good gopher patch. Using the laser rangefinder, and mildots, I regularly connected on the Prairie Poodles at up to 125 yards or so. Since a lot of these were young ones, and much smaller than the adults, I would say that my rifle is accurate enough. ( End of May shooting )

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
After zeroing, I fired five groups of five rounds each. Scope was set on 8x. They all went under one half inch at 50 yards.

As I am in southern Manitoba, and the primary use of my .22s is gophers, I then headed for a good gopher patch. Using the laser rangefinder, and mildots, I regularly connected on the Prairie Poodles at up to 125 yards or so. Since a lot of these were young ones, and much smaller than the adults, I would say that my rifle is accurate enough. ( End of May shooting )
What ammo did you get under 1/2" with?

Did the same on gophers this week. Managed to get 4 in a row at 110 yards. That is quite amazing as there was a strong wind, and I was using crappy Federal Champion ammo. It took about a 5" hold over and 6" allowance for wind. However, it was just a fluke, as I then went about 15 rounds without getting a single one. Wind, holdover, and crappy ammo are not a good combination.

Ron

·
Registered
257 Posts
Ammo in my Mk II btvs

Ron

I was using plain old Federal 38 gr. HP from their 525 round bulk pack. I am not far from the Saskatchewan border, and last year the Co-op in Redvers had it on sale for $11.99. About a half hour drive, and I bought 12 cartons, all they had in stock.

I started out with the synthetic stock Mark II FV and used it for a couple of years. Last fall I bought a Mark II BV because it was on sale at a good price, and I like a heavier rifle. I couldn't resist the price on the Mark II BTVS, and snagged it. While heavier still, it shoots like a house afire. It is a keeper. I did put a bipod on it, and that steadies things up a bit.

I was out today and hit one of my Prairie Dog areas. It gives shots from 50 to 150 yards. I fired about 40 rounds from the BTVS, and hit over 30. I know what you mean about wind. When I came west in 1974, I moved to Fort MacLeod in southern Alberta and I thought the wind was furious there. Let me tell you, the winds in Southern Manitoba are equal or greater than those.

The Federal shoots well in all three of my Mark II heavy barrels. Winchester Dynapoint is about the same, and more effective on gophers, probably due to the larger nose cavity. It has a bit more drop than the Federals.

That is my experience with the Mark IIs so far. I shoot about 3000 rounds a year.

As an aside, I find that the Savage Mark II BV and the BTVS are about the same under hunting conditions for accuracy, with the BTVS shading the BV a bit. Both are about equal with my old Remington 513 Sporter that was made in 1947. The 513-S was the sporter version of the 513-T target rifle, about 13,000 were made out of a production of 140,000 of 513 rifles. It was the Cooper or Kimber of it's day, and it is what I compare all my .22s to.

I don't shoot targets formally any more. The thousand yard targets on the highpower range are getting a bit fuzzy. That's what 67 years will do to you. However, if I were going to use a rifle for .22 on the 25 or 50 yard range, I think a good set of target sights on the Mark II heavy barrel would do the trick nicely today. For a hunting rifle, it's great.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Ron

I was using plain old Federal 38 gr. HP from their 525 round bulk pack. I am not far from the Saskatchewan border, and last year the Co-op in Redvers had it on sale for $11.99. About a half hour drive, and I bought 12 cartons, all they had in stock.
At that price I can see why you bought it. Perhaps there are different batches of it (Champion 745), but I've seen it shot in 4 different guns (my BTVS and one other, a Rem 597, and Weatherby) and it performed poorly compared to Dynapoints in them all. I would say 1/2" would be impossible for me. Of six 5 shot groups all were over 1" and some by quite a bit. Dynapoint group sizes were nearly half that size.

The best day we got last week, was when there was no wind and the grass was short. I used Eley Target Rifle, and was averaging somewhere around 90-95% hits. Yes, it is not $11.99 a box! It groups around 0.350-0.400", and seems to make a difference.

Ron

·
Registered
257 Posts
Savage BTVS at 300 yards

I was just on the Internet, and came across a test of the Savage Mk.II BTVS at 300 yards.

This guy was a police tactical sniper, and he bought a BTVS for practice, instead of firing a lot of .308s he could use the .22.

The post is about the lethality of the .22 at a distance. Lots of pictures. In this case, it was a question of what a .22 LR would do at a distance. He took a frozen turkey, thawed it out, wrapped it with three layers of clothing plus duct tape, and proceeded to fire in a windy condition at 250 and 300 yards.

He bracketed it on the first two, and hit it with the third at 250. Moving back to 300, multiple hits were made. The surprising thing was the penetration of the .22 at longer range. All rounds made it through the turkey, one even penetrating the back.

Now, this guy is a trained police sniper, who practices regularly. But, what one person can achieve, another can duplicate.

The site is Snipershide.com The article was "Lethality of the 22 LR - Results"

Interesting reading. This calls for some experimetation.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Buffdog, I've seen that one. If one used 36 gr. CCI MiniMags with the gun sighted in for 60 yards, you would need to hold over by 10 feet at 300 yards. Total drop would be 148", and a 10 mph wind would drift the bullet 40". Should still have about 50 ft-lbs of energy. Now if you got that turkey to hold a couple of tape measures up and sideways, I suppose you could get close...

Ron

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.