Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having a 10/22, I have been wondering about the Savage MK II LV, the laminated heavy barrel bolt action.

In terms of accuracy, how does this rifle compare (stock) vs say a 10/22 with an average aftermarket heavy barrel (GM)?

Looking at the minimum costs of accuruzing a 10/22, I could spend that on an MKII at about $200. What kind of groups can a person expect from an MKII @ 50 yards with average to good ammo? I searched but have seen no info as to actual group sizes and performance of the MKII at a given range with a given ammo.....

If the MKII can shoot as well or better then a 10/22 with a GM barrel or similar, then I would much rather own 2 rifles then spend the equivalent in upgrading the one.

thanks,

IronChef

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hey IronChef......

You won't see a lot of discussion here as to group sizes. I think most feel they will either be doubted, or ridiculed...that they will either be perceived as bragging or lying...... And I'm no different. I will say I've shot some really impressive groups with my Mark II LV...and some not as good. I prefer to believe that the good ones were the rifle, and the bad ones were me. At least that's what the results indicate to me. I will stick my neck out and say that the good groups were MOA or better at 50 yds., with Aguila Subsonic 40-gr. solids. And I happen to also own two 10-22's with heavy aftermarket barrels, and it will outshoot either. It's a nice-looking little rifle too...I've really enjoyed mine. Since you've read through the threads here about it, you know that several others have too. And did you see many negative ones? Hope this helps...... Later.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope

Haven't seen any negative ones about the LV at all.........

I have a 10/22 and been thinking about getting it to shoot a little tighter. As I searched around, I hear that Savage is the "price/performance king" and that it's the "underrated, best kept secret in rimfire".

I want a rifle that will shoot MOA .22lr. It can be a touch more or a touch less, doesn't bother me as long as it's much better then a stock 10/22(2MOA+).

From the threads I've searched on, most people are at about 1/2" @ 50 yards with good ammo, 1" @ 100, and anywhere from .25-.3x @ 25 yards. This is plenty of accuracy for me. Again, this is only what I read. Those numbers are in the ballpark of a heavy barreled 10/22 that has much tuning, and more custom work then just the barrel. That seperates the 2 rifles in price.

Yes you are 100% right, there is little to no talk of "groups" like there is on the 10/22 forums. Over there, numbers of group sizes are slung aroung on every mod and enhancement and it's the measure of performance. Here there is almost none.

I think I will leave the 10/22 as my semi-auto spray and pray gun, and pick myself up a Savage MKII LV.......

IronChef

·
Registered
29 Posts
SAVAGE MKIILV

I JUST GOT MY MKII BACK FROM THE GUNSMITH IT IS SHOOTING ELEY STANDARD AMMO THE BEST.
I'M SHOOTING FROM A BENCHREST @ 50 YDS. AND GETTING 10 SHOT GROUPS YOU CAN COVER WITH A DIME.
I HAVE A 6 X 20 X 44 HIGH LUX EXPERT SCOPE WITH FINE CROSSHAIR RECTICLE.
I HAVE A TRIGGER PULL OF 2 LBS.

THANKS,
TKSMIILV

·
Registered
293 Posts
What does MOA mean? i've been into guns since i got my first bb gun and i don't know what it means. I'd rather have people brag about their groups in inches.

TONY

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a MkII LV that was having trouble shooting well. I tried a number of different brands of ammo, some expensive and some not. The best I could do was about 1 moa. The rifle has the rifle basix trigger and a leupold 24x target scope.

I bought a fire lapping kit, shot the 100 rounds and found that there was an improvement. I shot 2 10 shot groups with aguila std vel. that were 1/2 moa at 50yds. Other brands did not do as well. It is possible that my shooting ability improved during this process as I'm not a proficient bench shooter, I don't know.

I did notice that it is harder to run a patch through the bore after fire lapping, indicating the bore is actually rougher than before, but this is a guess on my part. The rifle had less than 300 rounds through it when I fire lapped, with no perceptible rough spots.

I'm not an advocate of firelapping. This is the first rifle I have done. It might have shot well from the beginnning with a better shooter. None of this is conclusive. All I can say is that it shoots well now.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Gotta MKII and love it (RifleBasix trigger). The trigger kits for the 10/22 are much more expensive. I have a 10/22 also as a plinker ... even my friends that shoot 10/22's indoors have sunk alot'a scratch in 'em. There's also the bolt vs. semi argument. Serious shooters seem to lean towards bolt.

·
Registered
343 Posts
i have a savage mkII...i've just been worndering whats the differance between mine and the mkII LV?
my gun has the heavy target/varmint barrel and has outshot most guns tis been up against, my uncle kicks butt and take names with it (i dont have steady hands) so i usually lose with it, but overall tis a bad gun.

...but again whats the differance betwee mine and the LV?...i dont see LV anywhere on my gun or barrel?...
thanx.

·
Registered
168 Posts
corpis66,

If your rifle has the laminated stock and varmint barrel, it is a Mark II BV. If you had a Mark II LV you would have a left handed Mark II w/ a varmint barrel. The B in BV stands for laminated stock. Hope this helps.

Mike

·
Registered
293 Posts
sorry Old Coastie, they must have just changed that. a few weeks ago it was still LV when i ordered mine. Then i clicked on the Mk II-LV link on the savage site and it came up "BV". I'm a little confused now, when did this happen?

TONY

·
Registered
168 Posts
toneloc12345,

Check the model nr. on the box. I bought mine about 2 months ago and the box said Mark II BV. Still have it in the basement. You can also chack the Savage website. If you follow the links to the page that explains the meaning of all the various letters in the model number, you will see that 'B' means laminated stock and 'L' means left hand.

Mike

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.