Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 500 rds through my Ruger mk 111 Target.These first 500 rds were pretty much without a problem,however i now have a FTF atleast 2-5 times per 10 rd mag-both mags.
I first thought it was the hollow pts and so today i tried lead round nose with the same results.The bullet feeds into the bottom of the ramp,slicing the bullet and jams right there at the bottom of the ramp.
Any suggestions before i send it in to Ruger?

· Registered
199 Posts
I had the same problem with my Ruger Mark III when it was brand spanking new. It did the same thing, jamming the ammo into the feed ramp, and I tried every different ammo I could find. Did the same on almost everyone of them.

I broke down and called Ruger to get a fix. First call said they would send out a new mag. Never showed up. Called several weeks later and received another CS agent. Thought it was the mags also and said they would send me new ones. I finally received ONE mag for the TWO new faulty ones that came with the pistol.

I found the new factory mags to both be faulty and found one type of ammo that I liked, grouped well and most importantly fed reliably.

Try ammo first...then try a new mag.

My new mags also seat much tighter and are harder to get into the gun...but at least they feed.

· Registered
120 Posts
cleaning/polishing...

Have you tried cleaning and polishing the mags/feed ramps? Other than needing a quick wipedown every 800 rounds or so, my MKIII hunter has never had a problem. However, my buddy's 22/45 hunter (which somehow came from the factory with a nicer feeling trigger than my MKIII) had some feed issues. After a thorough cleaning of the mags and a slight polish to the feed ramp, he's had no trouble.

· Registered
2,077 Posts
Try cleaning the mags also. Might help.

Usually the "catch" at the bottom of the feed ramp happens with hollow points and the first one in the magazine. It needs to be tilted up slightly. If it is happening more frequently, then the feed ramp polish and cleaning the mags will help.

· Registered
867 Posts
Try cleaning the mags also. Might help.

Usually the "catch" at the bottom of the feed ramp happens with hollow points and the first one in the magazine. It needs to be tilted up slightly. If it is happening more frequently, then the feed ramp polish and cleaning the mags will help.
Greener, I have 10 mags that I loaded up with hp's and none of them tilted up a bit. Why would a hollow point not tilt up, and solids would?
Mind you, I'm not talking about inserting them in the pistol. Just the mags.
Does the insertion create the upward tilt?

· Registered
364 Posts
I have about 500 rds through my Ruger mk 111 Target.These first 500 rds were pretty much without a problem,however i now have a FTF atleast 2-5 times per 10 rd mag-both mags.
I first thought it was the hollow pts and so today i tried lead round nose with the same results.The bullet feeds into the bottom of the ramp,slicing the bullet and jams right there at the bottom of the ramp.
Any suggestions before i send it in to Ruger?
My guess is that you have a magazine problem. I have three Mark III's. Two will work with any of my magazines. One is a bit more finiky and I learned that it would not feed reliably with two of my mags. I would occasionally get a bullet that would dig into the lower part of the feed ramp, cutting the bullet nose.

I compared the two culprit mags to the others and noticed that the feed lips were just a little closer together than on the others. I gently pried them a little farther apart, and they now work just fine in all three Mark III's. If you try it, go slowly. A little goes a long way. :)

· Registered
2,077 Posts
Greener, I have 10 mags that I loaded up with hp's and none of them tilted up a bit. Why would a hollow point not tilt up, and solids would?
Mind you, I'm not talking about inserting them in the pistol. Just the mags.
Does the insertion create the upward tilt?
If you insert the rounds in the mag they will be parallel with a slight uptilt. Give the top round a bit more uptilt. This seems to solve the first round hitting the bottom of the feed ramp problem.

· Registered
364 Posts
Magazines and or Extractor

He said that it was happening several times per loaded mag, so it's more than just the top round.

He needs to start by making sure the gun is thoroughly clean and lubed. I would try a different extractor(VQ has always worked for me). I would obtain or borrow at least one mag that works OK after the cleaning and extractor change.

Compare the feed lips to the current mags and modify the lips (one mag at a time) to the same configuration as the viable mag. On mine the lips of the faulty(brand new) magazines were too close together, and I just spread them out a little to the same width as the ones that worked OK. Prior to the spreading, the difference was very noticable. This mod also made them work much better with the Ultimate clip loader.

A thorough clean and lube (silicon spray & wipe down) of the mags is always a good idea also. Oil is a bad thing as it attracts crud. No such trouble with the silicon if wiped down. :)

· Registered
867 Posts
If you insert the rounds in the mag they will be parallel with a slight uptilt. Give the top round a bit more uptilt. This seems to solve the first round hitting the bottom of the feed ramp problem.
Why would the tilt apply only to the first round?
I tried different ammo in all of mine, and it all comes up flat.
The only way I get upward tilt is if I manually tilt it, or snap the button on the side while the mag is inverted.
Then the second round comes up flat.
I can't have ten bad mags.:confused:

· Registered
867 Posts
He said that it was happening several times per loaded mag, so it's more than just the top round.

He needs to start by making sure the gun is thoroughly clean and lubed. I would try a different extractor(VQ has always worked for me). I would obtain or borrow at least one mag that works OK after the cleaning and extractor change.

Compare the feed lips to the current mags and modify the lips (one mag at a time) to the same configuration as the viable mag. On mine the lips of the faulty(brand new) magazines were too close together, and I just spread them out a little to the same width as the ones that worked OK. Prior to the spreading, the difference was very noticable. This mod also made them work much better with the Ultimate clip loader.

A thorough clean and lube (silicon spray & wipe down) of the mags is always a good idea also. Oil is a bad thing as it attracts crud. No such trouble with the silicon if wiped down. :)
Cadillo, exactly what part of the lips did you have to spread?
Front-front/back-front/front-back/back-back?
The backmost lip on mine is where the firing rim gets contact. No other part of the cartridge comes in contact. I find it hard to believe that widening that part will cause any upward lift at the nose. If anything, it seems that the shell would simply fly out.
Why not just change the angle of the plastic feed/support thingy?

Sorry, but none of this makes sense. Yet.....

· Registered
107 Posts
Unless I physically tilt the first round up on my MK3 it too will look like the mag on the right.I just tilt the first round up, so far no problems, except of course the Remington Gold dots that would not feed right.

· Registered
364 Posts
Cadillo, exactly what part of the lips did you have to spread?
Front-front/back-front/front-back/back-back?
The backmost lip on mine is where the firing rim gets contact. No other part of the cartridge comes in contact. I find it hard to believe that widening that part will cause any upward lift at the nose. If anything, it seems that the shell would simply fly out.
Why not just change the angle of the plastic feed/support thingy?

Sorry, but none of this makes sense. Yet.....
First of all, I never said anything about lifting the nose. You either read that term in another person's post or infered it by reading between the lines. I'm not saying that causing the nose of the top round to lift didn't cure the problem, just that I didn't say that.

If you spread the lips far enough, of course, the cartridges will just fall out. That's why I used the good magazines as a gauge. Like I said there was a noticeable disparity in the lips of the offending mags.

There was no need to change the follower once the feed lip mod cured the problem.

What I do know is this:

I determined which magazines would not work consistently. I then made a visual comparison between the feed lips on these to those of the magazines that worked well. There was a very noticeable difference between the feed lips of the good mags and those of the bad mags.

Looking at the magazine from the side, you will see a vee that separates the lip on each side into a front and rear half. The rear set of lips were pressed closer together on the bad magazines. I merely took a pin punch and pushed it down between those two rear halves allowing the taper of the punch shaft to slightly spread them apart. I did this a little bit at a time until they looked to be the same as on the magazines that worked. I did this on one magazine and tried it in the gun. It worked. I then tried it with the other mag, and it then worked OK also.

I know one other thing: Every gun is a law unto itself. A magazine that works in one gun may never ever work in another, and vice versa. There is no explaining it other than the fact that no two man made objects are exactly the same, and when parts start to move and interface at high rates of speed, those differences manifest themselves in many ways.

Maybe it would make more sense to you to just toss the offending magazines in the trash. I was going to do that also, had the feed lip alteration not worked. It just made more sense to me to try the feed lips first, and it worked.

If you have never had a bad magazine come out of the box new, you are indeed living a charmed life.

Having said all that, this fellow's gun may have a completely different problem. I was just offering a suggestion that might possibly help him, as I believe in fixing things myself whenever possible. :harry:

· Registered
38 Posts
Any final resolution to this issue?

I have a brand new Mark III Hunter with the exact issue. I shot it for the 1st time today using CCI HP Mini-Mags and Fed Bulk HP. Too many bullet "sliced" by the feed ramp on the first round and a few "in-betweens" also :mad: I thoroughly cleaned and lubed this new pistol before I went out.

· Registered
594 Posts
This is obviously a reoccurring issue. My newish MKIII 22/45 does the same thing. I tried to post about it after googling about it. Same thing happens every time. A couple newbs will say mine works fine(there fore yours cant be a lemon) and someone will recommend cleaning your gun/mags. Maybe i can at least get a couple more mags out of Ruger.

· Registered
29 Posts
Out of the 15 or 20 mark 1 and 2's I have seen feed problems with it has always
been the mag. They are very difficult to adjust and like the earlier post stated go
very small adjustments at a time. Better yet just go buy a few and hopefully enjoy
the pistol while yours are in the mail to ruger. Maybe ruger changed suppliers, like
china or something and they are going through growing pains again.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.