Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In an on-going thread (Is CZ In Trouble), the discussion ranged from speculation about CZ's financial status to elimination of certain rifles from the product line. In this and in other threads, I have lamented the discontinuance of the 452 and 527 series of rifles.

The discussion mentioned the Howa mini-action as an alternative to the CZ 527 series and this caused me to do a few minutes research into wood-stocked, blue-steel, bolt-action, mini-action rifles.

The CZ 527 series is gone and it appears Howa only offers the mini-action in synthetic stock rifles. I am not sure the Ruger American Ranch Rifle is a mini-action but even if so, it is only offered in synthetic stocked rifles. Is the RAR rifle considered a mini-action?

Is there a wood-stocked, blue-steel, bolt-action, mini-action rifle out there I am missing?

Everyday, I am more pleased I still have a CZ 527 M carbine in the safe.

·
Premium Member
1,685 Posts
In an on-going thread (Is CZ In Trouble), the discussion ranged from speculation about CZ's financial status to elimination of certain rifles from the product line. In this and in other threads, I have lamented the discontinuance of the 452 and 527 series of rifles.

The discussion mentioned the Howa mini-action as an alternative to the CZ 527 series and this caused me to do a few minutes research into wood-stocked, blue-steel, bolt-action, mini-action rifles.

The CZ 527 series is gone and it appears Howa only offers the mini-action in synthetic stock rifles. I am not sure the Ruger American Ranch Rifle is a mini-action but even if so, it is only offered in synthetic stocked rifles. Is the RAR rifle considered a mini-action?

Is there a wood-stocked, blue-steel, bolt-action, mini-action rifle out there I am missing?

Everyday, I am more pleased I still have a CZ 527 M carbine in the safe.
Zastava .

·
Premium Member
1,685 Posts
S/PAW-

I had not even thought of Zastava, I don't think I have ever seen one in the flesh. It looks more Mauser-like than a Howa or even a CZ.
S/PAW-

I had not even thought of Zastava, I don't think I have ever seen one in the flesh. It looks more Mauser-like than a Howa or even a CZ.
Thats where the Mini Mauser designation came from I think, I got one about 20 years ago when they still made a lefty Mine is in 223. good prairie dog getter.

·
Premium Member
1,685 Posts
I had a Zastava Mini in 7.62x39, loved that rifle and one I regret selling.
The action wasn't the slickest but it was as accurate as you'd expect from a 7.62x39, 1.5" at 100m.
I made a new stock for it out of New Zealand walnut and fitted a compact Bushnell 4x30, it was a sweet little brush gun

View attachment 331817
View attachment 331816
I like that looks good the 7.62x39 ballistically would equal our 30 30 most of our guns are lever actions but I got a couple one is a TC Contender carbine and an old Savage model 340 nothing wrong with the 7.62x39 in an accurate
Action.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I switched from the Zastava M85 to a Howa Mini as the Zastava was getting beat up with day to day farm use, so now I have a stainless synthetic .223.
I really didn't like the stock Howa HTI stock, so I altered the inletting on a Remington Model 7 stock and bedded in the Mini action
Road surface Asphalt Wood Auto part Concrete

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
Zestava USA shows the mini, although I dont believe they are currently on the shelves. And while the pics looks better the prices have more than doubled. Most dealers now ask full list just because they can get away with that. Cabelas mark ups are looking better all the time.

Wood Air gun Shotgun Trigger Gun barrel

And they still lists the 22 rimfire, which looks a lot better than cz to me. Not even close. Good by cz. Maybe financially CZ is "not in trouble" but; the rifles are "right in the toilet" (including 457)

Air gun Wood Shotgun Gun accessory Gun barrel

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
I forgot to mention, again. This is Zastava Arms USA.. That is for those worried about spare parts or ability to stockpile a duffle bag full of magazines. They make ugly black guns too. I am sure that is the focus on the USA market right now.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
When I researched the Zastava, the term "mini mauser" is quite a bit misleading. It is more a short-action similar to a Remington or Savage rather than a true mini which only the Howa can claim. The typical long-action bolt is 7.4" long. while short-action bolts are 6.9" long. The Howa Mini Bolt is just 6" long and is pretty unique. Also, the term mauser action does not apply to the Zastava, which is a push feed design. From my research the Zastava action is actually based on the Sako L461 Vixen, which is an excellent design originally chambered in 222 Remington. The main reason I went with the Howa is that Zastava customer support in the US is spotty at best. I prefer the look of the Zastava and own the .22LR version, but the Howa Mini is much better finished. While I prefer wood stocks, the Howa Mini's stock is very comfortable to shoot and very rigid.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts