Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
I don't have one, but my buddy does. I have an AR15.

If you're looking for fine accuracy then you'll be disappointed in the Mini14. 3"-4" @ 100yds is what you'll get. Certainly good enough for coyotes and general plinking. Good enough for most of the smaller varmints if you limit the range. Or enjoy pushing your skill. ;)

They are pretty good rifles that go "bang" every time if you use quality mags. Unfortunately, any decent mags over 5 rds are very expensive. :( Easy to maintain, too

If you are planning on scoping the rifle be sure to get the "Ranch Rifle." It has the Ruger style bases made right on the receiver, and the rings are included with the rifle. Cheaper and easier than scoping the regular Mini. You can also add a Williams peep sight that is probably a better setup than the rear sight of the reg. Mini. But it doesn't have the protective "ears."

Good rifles for the money. AR's are better, IMHO, but run almost double the price.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I replied to your other post, but I'll put it here too.

I do not like the Mini-14. It's inaccurate as all get out. After the first couple rounds and that barrel gets a little warm....your groups will go to hell in a handbasket.

The only reliable magazines are Ruger factory or PMI, both of which cost an arm and a leg.

Though there is an abundance of aftermarket parts for this gun, I still wouldn't buy another. I do understand this rifle can be accurized, but why spend the bucks? Get an AR15 variant and be done with it.

Also...the Mini's chamber is a .223. This excludes using any super cheap surplus ammunition in 5.56mm. Yes, there is a difference. Click HERE for an excellent description of the difference.

Lee, don't blow your hard earned bucks on a Mini-14 if you want a rifle of this type.

Jeremy

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Mini-14 Chamber and Ammunition

10/22,

quote:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Also...the Mini's chamber is a .223. This excludes using any super cheap surplus ammunition in 5.56mm. Yes, there is a difference. [Jeremy (BC)]

CORRECTION

quote:
AMMUNITION
The Mini-14 Rifle is designed to use either US Military (5.56mm) or commercial sporting .223 cartridges manufactured in accordance with U.S. industry practice.
[Instruction Manual for Mini-14 Rifle][Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.]

While many find the Mini-14 inaccurate, mine will hold 1 1/2" five round groups at 100 yards off the bench; it is scoped. It will digest any and all suitable military or commercial ammo without a problem. Most aftermarket Hi-Cap magazines for the Mini-14 are pure junk. I have several Ruger 20 round magazines, and they function flawlessly.

However, it is NOT a target rifle.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I like the Mini-14

I have owned a couple of them. Due to the twist rate - can't remember the actual number, mine did best with 69 grain BTHP's. Shot around an inch at 100 yards until the barrel got hot. The acton is robust and extremily reliable. I like the looks of the gun better than the AR. Admitadely, it won't group like the heavy barrel AR variants either. I'd buy another one for the purposes that you describe. Shooting offhand at targets as big as cans or larger, I didn't notice much accuracy loss compared to an AR. Off the bench is another matter.

·
Registered
239 Posts
BigMike

BM did you have anything done to your mini 14? I had one a few years ago, I had a scope on it and I could not hit a clay pigdeon at 75 yds of a bench. I was so disgusted I sold it shortly after. Hell if it shot 1 1/2" groups at 100 yds I would have been very happy. I'm looking at getting a NEF this summer.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I agree with Big Mike....Mini-14's can shoot, but they need a little work to get there. A few years back I had a Blue mini-14 with 1-7" twist. It grouped poorly and I thought it was the gun so I traded it for a new stainless ranch model. This also had a 1-7" twist. Groups were better with the scope on the new gun but not by much. I figured I would have to live with it. Then Ruger changed their twist to 1-9" as did much of the AR-15 Manufacturers. I immediately traded my 1-7" twist Mini for a stainless Ranch Model with 1-9" twist. This third gun shot the best of them all but still needed a little work to get near to where my AR's were shooting. I worked on the trigger, removed all barrel/action pressure points and glass bedded the action and front anchor band/attachment. Now with a 1.5-5 Redfield scope it will hold 2" at 100 yards, until the barrel heats up. Then the groups get larger in relation to how hot the barrel gets. I figure if I can consistantly hit a large orange at 100 yards with a Mini-14 .... then I'm happy. If you are going to get one, just be sure it has a 1-9" twist barrel. Good Luck - J.Solo

·
Registered
360 Posts
I bet my Bullpup that you'd be happier with a $400 SKS. Really. Ask around or try one out.

If your next rifle must be a Mini-14, you can usually find them up for sale/trade on the rec.guns newsgroup:

"FS: Mini-14... shoots like crap and the stock smells funny. I have hi-cap mags, but those are worth more than the gun, so's I'ma hang on to em. Did alotta work to the rifle. Yeah, I bought so many extra parts, I was able to assemble a complete AR-15, so now I must sell the Mini...doy doy doy."

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have created an original review of the mini that can be found HERE. My review cover's most of what's already been said here, not to take sand to the beach, but some of the facts may have been passed over.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.