Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A guy from Millet informed me that they do not make rings that will fit a factory drilled and tapped 93R17 rifle. This comes as a suprise to me. A local gunsmith told me to go with the Millets on this rifle. I thought for sure he knew what he was talking about. Oh Well. I guess I will rack my brain some more to try and decide what rings to go with before I pick up my rifle next week.

·
Registered
389 Posts
TTown said:
A guy from Millet informed me that they do not make rings that will fit a factory drilled and tapped 93R17 rifle. This comes as a suprise to me. A local gunsmith told me to go with the Millets on this rifle. I thought for sure he knew what he was talking about.
maybe the smithy was assuming you had the factory weaver style bases installed and were looking for rings that would fit them. ;)

Millet rings on a 93R17

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
I have two 93's both with Millet rings, I put Millet rings on my brothers 93 for him. And Ive installed atleast 6 other sets I can remember right off hand for other people, so I dont know what that guy was talking about, but Millet rings work great on the 93's.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate you Guys clearing this up for me. I wonder why the Guy from Millet told me they had nothing to fit the 93.
Exactly what bases and Millet rings do I need for my 93??

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
Just use the bases that come with the rifle, or if you want you can get a set of Weaver #16 bases, and a set of Millet Angle-Loc rings for Weaver style bases. The factory bases are a Weaver style base and will except any Weaver style ring. Although there have been a few people who had trouble with the factory bases being a little undersized and the rings didnt want to clamp down tight.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all for the much needed advice. Maybe I will soon get things set up so I can quit bothering you Guys with all of my questions. Take Care.

TTown

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
You're not "bothering" anybody with your questions ;) . That's one of the things what RFC is all about. Learning and sharing :t .
Ring height is determined by the outside diameter of the object lens. I have a Burris 8-32x44mm on my 93 and looks very simular to nipprdog's - big and long. It's outside diameter of the OL is 60mm (2.362"). I used the Millett angle-loc high rings (p/n AL00712) and can barely slip in 2 dimes between the scope and the barrel.A bigger OL and I would need the extra high rings. A smaller OL and you might get away with the mediums.
In the good old days, varmint rifles never came from the factory with bases. Maybe the guy from Millett assumed you needed rings and bases, you know, wasn't aware that the 93 comes with bases. Millett doesn't make bases for it and that's what he meant.
ShootNut said it well.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was about to place my order for the Millet Rings in High when I thought about something. The scope I plan to use for now is 40MM and the end bell measures 1.876". Even toough mediums would probably allow this scope to sit closer to the center line of the bore getting the high rings would allow me to mount a slightly larger scope in the future. Would the high rings be too tall for the smaller scope with the 40MM Obj. lens??

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
The idea is to mount the scope as close to the barrel as possible. It's easy to spend someone else's money but I would buy new rings ($18) if and when you buy the new scope. Actually I think you should be using the low rings. The difference in object bell diameters of our scopes is .486". Divide that in half = .243. Ring height on the Millett hi = .525", the low = .275". The difference = .250" so the low rings will work very well.
An advantage of getting new rings with the new scope is that the old rings stay with the old scope - which may just wind up on another rifle! But no, that extra 1/4" ain't gonna kill ya. In my opinion it'll just look funky.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I finally ordered the low matte Millets for Midway USA earlier Today.
Maybe my Matte scope and rings will not look too bad on the BVSS.
I also ordered some of the Butch's Bore Shine and Bench Rest oil.
Is the oil as good as they say it is for lubing the bore of a rifle?
Sure hope so.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.