Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
I ordered three bricks to try a when they first got it. I liked it enough to buy two 6250 round cases of it and will buy more if I get the $ before it's all gone. Shoots better than Wolf match target in my 10/22 and 46B target rifles.

I shot a match Saturday morning with my 46B with peep sights using the S&B ammo. I had the only un-scoped rifle at the match and came in fourth out of seven with a 377-14x.

That's good enough for me.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
POI said:
I ordered three bricks to try a when they first got it. I liked it enough to buy two 6250 round cases of it and will buy more if I get the $ before it's all gone. Shoots better than Wolf match target in my 10/22 and 46B target rifles.

I shot a match Saturday morning with my 46B with peep sights using the S&B ammo. I had the only un-scoped rifle at the match and came in fourth out of seven with a 377-14x.

Is it clean burning and does it smell bad? Mac

·
Registered
230 Posts
The powder is fairly clean burning. The bullets are coated with what they call wax, but it's more like cosmoline. That stuff will build up after time and catch a lot of powder residue. I take a rag and wipe it off the rounds before I load my semi-autos. I shoot it as is with the bolt guns.

It doesn't smell bad.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
POI said:
The powder is fairly clean burning. The bullets are coated with what they call wax, but it's more like cosmoline. That stuff will build up after time and catch a lot of powder residue. I take a rag and wipe it off the rounds before I load my semi-autos. I shoot it as is with the bolt guns.

It doesn't smell bad.
Thanks

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DONT BUY that S&B trash 22lr

baer said:
ANY one out there shot any of this 1980s surplus 22 lr ammo yet? i got some a week or so for testing and wanted to see if anyone else knew about it? thanks baer
READ THIS that ammo is TRASH DONT BUY.we used a 40x and a HB Anschutz and a Ruger race rifle factory new to day ALL SCOPED.we got 2 of 3 INCHES at 25 YARDS out all 3 guns.we shot 100 rd total.we shoot 100 yards but after seeing what the ammo did at 25 time to go home.BUY WOLF for plinking.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
baer said:
READ THIS that ammo is TRASH DONT BUY.we used a 40x and a HB Anschutz and a Ruger race rifle factory new to day ALL SCOPED.we got 2 of 3 INCHES at 25 YARDS out all 3 guns.we shot 100 rd total.we shoot 100 yards but after seeing what the ammo did at 25 time to go home.BUY WOLF for plinking.
Oh, for heaven's sake!
POI said:

Haven't we figured out yet how fickle .22's are?

It's JUNK!
What a FIND!
It's SLIME!
How SUBLIME!
WORTHLESS!
PRICELESS!

:rolleyes:

Glad it works for you, POI.
Sorry about your bad luck, Baer.

Heck, I might buy some just for the box. :coolgleam
I already know my CZ doesn't take to std/vel.
-S

·
Registered
230 Posts
baer said:
Wow! I would be extremely pissed if I bought a 40x and/or an Anschutz and it wouldn't group better than 2 to 3 inches at 25 yards. That's **** near 12 MOA. The bores on those rifles must be worn out to about .30 cal diameter to achieve such groups. Even the worst, cheapest, sorriest, salvaged from a sunken Turkish fishing boat ammo should do better than that.

I've never had a .22 so sorry that it wouldn't group better than 2 to 3 inches at 25 yards no matter what I ran through them, and I once owned a POS Sovreign takedown rifle.

If you want to believe that about it, go ahead. That just makes it more likely that I'll be able to buy more when I get some more $ scraped together.

Here's a pic of my two cases.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
How's she shoot?...

I'm not quite that ambitious, POI, but I'll probably get a couple bricks worth -- If for no other reason, for the cool vintage (well, circa 80's) military box -- to add to what is trying to become a quaint little collection.

I've not yet found a std/vel that shoots well in my Special -- the Scout's another story. May I ask how it's grouping for you? You said it shoots better than Wolf, but I don't know how Wolf shoots for you (terrible for me).

TIA. Visuals are always nice (i.e., pictures of targets shot :D ), but CTC numbers work.

-S

·
Registered
230 Posts
Spike52 said:
I'm not quite that ambitious, POI, but I'll probably get a couple bricks worth -- If for no other reason, for the cool vintage (well, circa 80's) military box -- to add to what is trying to become a quaint little collection.

I've not yet found a std/vel that shoots well in my Special -- the Scout's another story. May I ask how it's grouping for you? You said it shoots better than Wolf, but I don't know how Wolf shoots for you (terrible for me).

TIA. Visuals are always nice (i.e., pictures of targets shot :D ), but CTC numbers work.

-S
I went out back and dug a target out of the trash from the other day when I sighted her in before going to the club for the match. These are five shot groups shot at 50 yards using my Mossberg 46B(B). And I believe the target on the right had an elevation adjustment between the first two and last three if my memory is correct.

Target:

Rifle:

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Thanks, POI. Nice pichers. I like pichers. I can read them. They say they're worth a thousand words.

Looks like a reciever peep on the Mossy? Nice groups for bio-corneal optics. 'Bout 2MOA? This S&B might be on the level.

Good shooting.

-S

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just got a case and started shooting it in my CZ 452. So far, it seems a little less accurate then PMC Scoremaster in my gun, but I've had one dud, and a couple odd fliers. I've gone through 250 rounds so far, and it seems to be getting better in my gun the more I shoot.

The "wax" on the bullets seems to get a little runny on the 90+ degree days we've been having. It looked like it was starting to run and collect on the tip of the bullet.

It's very smoky ammo. Doing rapid fire with the CMP Sporter competition gives a pretty good cloud of smoke when there's no wind.

You can probably get better ammo for the same price, but I'm a milsurp nut, so it was worth it for the crate, and the curiosity.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Treasure Chest!

Gee, that is a photo of a treasure chest IMO! What did that cost ya & where did you git it? (If ya don't mind) If my 10/22 don't like it, my Single Six will! ;)

Dennis :Blasting_

POI said:
Wow! I would be extremely pissed if I bought a 40x and/or an Anschutz and it wouldn't group better than 2 to 3 inches at 25 yards. That's **** near 12 MOA. The bores on those rifles must be worn out to about .30 cal diameter to achieve such groups. Even the worst, cheapest, sorriest, salvaged from a sunken Turkish fishing boat ammo should do better than that.

I've never had a .22 so sorry that it wouldn't group better than 2 to 3 inches at 25 yards no matter what I ran through them, and I once owned a POS Sovreign takedown rifle.

If you want to believe that about it, go ahead. That just makes it more likely that I'll be able to buy more when I get some more $ scraped together.

Here's a pic of my two cases.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.