Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yea, savage guys,

got my 93r 17, used, that came with a richards micro fit bench stock with
the t-hole, 3" wide forearm, etc. WOW, that stock is a big piece of lumber.
the previous owner did a heck of a job but is a bit too big. any suggs as to how i can cut it down to fit my secretary sue hands, esp arouond the pistol grip, or taper the stock from the fore end towards the receiver area. the bolt is partially buried in the relieved area am thinking of heating the bolt and bending it kinda upwards. guess i would have to do a lot of sanding. will stain it regardless so, dont matter as far as re-doing it again.
anyone have experience with these stocks ?? btw, have one coming for my EABco kit thingee, and will probably have to do this again.

thanks all.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Holy Cow, why bend the bolt, can't you just remove wood? I had to remove wood on my Blaster, so the web of my trigger hand between thumb and index finger was further forward. I used a Dremel with a sanding drum to do most of the work quickly, then a dowel with some 150 to smooth things out.

HTH

Ben

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Just Remove What You Don't Want

Sounds like a sharp wood plane, some course files and a small chisel would get the heavy work done. Then finish the job starting with course and then increasingly finer sand paper. Take your time and check the fit often. Don't bend the bolt!

Good luck

sawdust

·
Registered
20,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
okay guys, wont bend the bolt. dont have much in the way of wood working tools.
wondering if a belt sander will work to get it started. wish i had the xtra cash for a dremel. oh well............

thanks again all.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I'd be real carefull with a belt sander.

Too easy to take too much off.

I'm guessing the laminates would be a bit harder to work on and the power sander may be better suited to them. You didn't mention the stock material.

·
Registered
20,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea guys, am talking about removing about a 1/4", yes a 1/4 " of wood on each side. hooked up with a friend who is a carpenter and has a tiltable table saw and said that is not a prob. okee-dokee. may have a "one of a kind". even after he makes a few cuts, will still need work on the pistol grip area as it is way too bulky. that is an area that will need some smaller tools that i dont have, such as a dremel. am looking to get one but finances are kinda short.......any ideas how to work that area of the stock ?? may even do a finger grip kinda thingee. just dont wanna screw up a $200.00 stock.

thanks all.

·
Registered
20,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
vafish,

this is a lami stock. have done 2 and is not too hard to work. believe it is birch which is kinda soft.

dferris, this stock has been done by the previous owner and he did a beautiful job. just too big, for my smallhands and want to make it to fit me, and will do a stain for a diff effect so dont matter if i cut, etc. plus the bolt barely sticks out and is the main reason why am doing all this. not a big thingee. will work it to my liking. will post pics when done.

·
Registered
20,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
got the two slabs that were cut off and will use them as a test bed for the stain scheme. as will do it anyway. lots of sanding with power tools to make it fit my hand.
but that's the way it goes. not done yet but am getting close. one more session, ??

·
Registered
20,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sharpsman, guys, yea borrowed a battery operated dremel from a buddy and that lil' tool is the cats meow.am workingon the pistol grip and sure beats hand sanding. hi-tech if ya ask me. lite and works great, will getin spaces i could not with sand paper wrapped around my fingers. will be done tonite. now to go get some rit dye. lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.