Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

MeoPro Optika5 4-20x44 SFP: Ok for Silhouette?

3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  dbr65 
#1 ·
Hi,
I'm a silhouette newb and need a scope. The Meopta MeoPro Optika5 4-20x44 SFP (with Z-plus reticle) seems on the surface to have what I need: 10 yard minimum focus, 1/4 moa knobs and large moa dot reticle. (Meopta doesn't say the moa of the dot). The scope is new to the market and so there is little or no buyer feedback at the sites selling the scope. Is anyone here familiar with Meopta Optika5 scopes?

Thanks,
Lloyd

#2 ·
Hi,
I'm a silhouette newb and need a scope. The Meopta MeoPro Optika5 4-20x44 SFP (with Z-plus reticle) seems on the surface to have what I need: 10 yard minimum focus, 1/4 moa knobs and large moa dot reticle. (Meopta doesn't say the moa of the dot). The scope is new to the market and so there is little or no buyer feedback at the sites selling the scope. Is anyone here familiar with Meopta Optika5 scopes?

Thanks,
Lloyd
I looked up that scope, their website isn't very informative. The reticle looks very buisy which I would find very distracting.
If you hurry you can find one of the discontinued Leupold VX3i 6.5-20X, the reticle can be changed to a dot although I hear it can take months. This country needs another scope repair/mod shop.
Silhouette specific scopes are a problem since Leupold bailed on the target/custom market. You almost have to wait for a Silhouette shooter to die to find a good Silhouette scope.

#3 ·
Motovita,
I'd buy a Leupold VX3i 6.5-20 and have the reticle changed, but the Leupold custom shop is closed indefinitely. Like you say, it does seem like someone will have to die first to score one of the better scopes.
The Meopta has the virtue of being relatively inexpensive, but I don't know about the optical quality.

#6 ·
A big concern would be the repeatability and durability, and availability of repairs, for the elevation adjustment, which really gets a workout on Silhouette scopes.

And my personal bias is that you can't have too much magnification. I'd want more than 20x.

Thanks. Those are useful things to know.

I've been very happy with Vortex.

Which Vortex do you have? The Crossfire® II 6-24x50 AO? Shouldn't a silhouette scope have a moa dot reticle?

#8 · (Edited)
...Which Vortex do you have? The Crossfire® II 6-24x50 AO? Shouldn't a silhouette scope have a moa dot reticle?
Yes re the Vortex.

A silhouette scope is whatever you are using at the time. My ideal scope would have 30x or more, no zoom, AO but no need for less than 25 yards, mil dots and be as light as possible. I have shot hundreds of silhouette matches with scopes from an $85 Centerpoint 4-16x to an 8-32x Vortex and they have all been good enough. If I ever outgrow what I'm shooting, which is unlikely at my age, I'll shop for a better one.

I don't see the need for the dot reticle. I'm watching the crosshairs themselves more than the intersection between them. I would like mil dots because it works well for me to know which dot to use at a given distance rather than adjust the scope. But that's just me and it also might contradict what I just said about not needing the dot. Try some other shooters' scopes if you can. Consider buying a cheaper scope with the expectation that you'll get a better one when you know what you want.

#7 ·
Dots are nice, and seem universally preferred, but the most important part on a Silhouette rifle will always be the nut behind the trigger.
You can get custom reticles here https://targetshooteroptics.com/Services_and_Prices.html
scroll down the page and you'll see which scopes she works on.

I think that if Leupold would either %%%% or get off the pot with their custom shop someone else might get into the business. It would suck if somebody started a new business customizing scopes and then Leupold decided to reopen their custom shop, which they still say they might do someday.

#10 · (Edited)
motovita and CardPuncher,

Thank you both for your advice.

Lloyd
I'll add one thing about reticles.
I have been coached by better shooters than I, which is most of the shooters at any given match, to look at a spot on the target rather than the reticle and squeeze when the dot appears at that spot. Having a bunch of dots or other complexity in your scope will certainly make that harder. That's why single dots are popular in Silhouette. I think that a simple duplex reticle would be acceptable also.

#11 · (Edited)
I have a couple optika5 scopes and they are built better than the Vx3i scopes I previously had although heavier. I have 2 3-15 and they are not far behind a razor hd lht 3-15 I have in the glass quality. Also the reticle subtension descriptions suck at best. I think the zplus is 3 moa @ 6x and mine look to be around 1 moa @ 15x but I haven’t setup a way to measure I’m just guessing from the gong size at 100yds.

#13 · (Edited)
A friend recently purchased an meopta scope and I'd have to say the quality is 1st rate. Super clear glass.
I switched from Leupold to Zeiss, due to the slight improvement in clarity. The scopes were reliable and the images crisp, but one day a problem occurred with my 6.5-20x conquest and I had to send it in for repairs... what a hassle. They did correct the issue, but it wasn't nearly as simple as Leupolds repair policy. So now I'm back to using Leupolds for silhouette. I know this is a round about way to say check out their repair policy fully before you decide, but sometimes a back story helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.