Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
4,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another good day, 10-15 mph wind, but what the heck. :)

Shot a 50 yard 25 shot group I could cover with a quarter, not too shabby given the wind and number of rounds. First 5 looked good, second 5 looked good, etc, so just kept shooting. :)

Shot a 15 round group that matched the .5 inch 10-shot factory test target, which was nice, and shot several single hole 5 shot groups in the .2's.

All of this with the PMC Zappers I use for hunting, so I still gotta say, she's definately a keeper. :) :)

· Registered
4,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hotdogdogau said:
hey steinie,very impressive,i hope the HEX head screws played a part in it,seeya mate.
They did actually. :) I used 'em to tighten the gun to 40 inch/lbs before I started. hehe.

A quarter sized group looks huge thru the scope, but yah, it's not too shabby for 25 shots with the wind and all. Would still be in a rabbit's head every time. :)

· Registered
4,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update.........

Friend gave me a B&L 4000 4-16x50 scope last week. So that is now mounted on the McMillan-stocked 54.18 MSR and will stay there as that gun's scope for the foreseeable future.

Rabbits beware. :) :)

· Registered
169 Posts
Not to be impertinent, I hope, but...

I know this is an especially good rifle for offhand shooting. Are you shooting offhand? 1" offhand @ 50yds would give me something to aspire to, though I doubt I'll live that long.

I've been following many of your posts about your new acquisition and look forward to them.

Thank you, Alan

· Registered
4,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
;)

I only shoot offhand when I have too. I am old and weak and shake a lot, ;) so rests, truck hoods, trees, bipods, walking sticks, etc, are all helpers when I'm out hunting. I took 7 or 8 of the wabbits last year offhand, but it's not my forte. :)

I agree the stock is something special. Even though I don't do silhouette, I had wanted a 54.18 for years just for general shooting, and there must be a reason so many others copy the Annie stock design, McMillan, Volquartsen, Bell and Carlson, and others, all seem to make the same sort of off-hand silhouette stock that Anschutz uses.

· Registered
603 Posts
What did you say the anschutz woman? Thumbhole or not?

I won my class at shilhouette with my new 54.18 two weekends ago. And it got its "first blood" with a 35 yard shot on a english sparrow off my mom's martin house this week. My only complaint is inconsistant ejection when there is a full clip. Sometimes it spins the case and leaves it there on top of the clip. I can work on that however as I have with other Annies. The trigger is simply fantastic! Best trigger I've ever shot. I've got a zeiss conquest 4.5x14 scope on my and shooting RWS subsonic HP. Hey, keep it all german! Bilrus61

· Registered
4,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Mine sometimes just dribbles shells down the sides too, or leaves them on top of the magazine like yours...... :)

I asked a guy at the range who has like 12 Annies' about it, and he claimed it was by design for their match guns. Bad form to throw brass on your line mates during a match or some such. So they are only supposed to dribble over the side.

I gotta admit, he may be riight. My 1717D Sporter Annie is not shy about throwiing brass out at all, nor is my friend's 1710D I've shot, but both my 54.18's can be touchy to how fast you work the bolt.

ps
I went traditional, and told her they should keep the non-thumbhole version if they only had room for one. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.