Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Mc stocked 54.18 ms r problem

342 Views 3 Replies 1 Participant Last post by  steinie
G
Early 90's vintage. Bought it new from CC. Worked fine for years. I must remove barrel & action from stock to clean. Not enough clearance to remove bolt due to high cheek piece.

Since the last time I put it back together, the magazine will not "click" into place. It does not fall out, but I must push it up to feed another round every time I work the bolt.

Can you tell me what I should be looking for?

Thanks in advance.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
4,258 Posts
The magazine latch just engages those little triangular cutouts in the back of the magazine on each side, that's it, the only thing that holds it in. I just used a flashlight to look, and there are matching little points on each side of the magazine well inside that move when you move the magazine release. Either something is worn, or the latch tips may be dirty and not fitting tightly enuff into those notches? Or something may have simply worn out. The mag latch stuff looks like mostly sheet metal stuff.

Also, does the mag release still have spring pressure when you move it? Perhaps the spring came out that holds those points in contact with the magazine if it no longer "clicks" into place?

BTW, the top of the stock behind the bolt on my newer one made in 2003 has a factory cutout notch in the top of the stock, so the bolt will slide out with the action still in the stock. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
steinie said:
The magazine latch just engages those little triangular cutouts in the back of the magazine on each side, that's it, the only thing that holds it in. I just used a flashlight to look, and there are matching little points on each side of the magazine well inside that move when you move the magazine release. Either something is worn, or the latch tips may be dirty and not fitting tightly enuff into those notches? Or something may have simply worn out. The mag latch stuff looks like mostly sheet metal stuff. That's a good lead. I'll check that next.

Also, does the mag release still have spring pressure when you move it? Perhaps the spring came out that holds those points in contact with the magazine if it no longer "clicks" into place?Yes it does. Checked that first.

BTW, the top of the stock behind the bolt on my newer one made in 2003 has a factory cutout notch in the top of the stock, so the bolt will slide out with the action still in the stock.I think I'm going to get adventurous with the dremel tool and do a little modification. :)
Steinie...thanks for the help. I really enjoy this rifle but it is a pain in the pittooney to clean in it's current condition.

· Registered
4,258 Posts
You might wanna do the dremel thing, they only cut out a little area about 1/2 inch in area, so it's not really an issue and hardly noticeable, but it lets the bolt slide out when needed. It's sorta like a half moon type cutout. :)

Both of my 54.18's are CC guns too, one standard, one with the McMillan stock...... :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.