Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my 77/22 Mag out to the range Sunday afternoon and tested 5 different .22 mag rounds for accuracy at 100 yards. There was little if any wind. I tested the following rounds:

CCI Maxi Mag
CCI Maxi Mag TNT
CCI Maxi Mag +V
Federal Premium
Winchester Supreme

I shot consistently 3/4 - 1" groups (5-shots) with all but the Maxi Mag +V which shot terribly!!!!! Averaged 2-1/2 - 3" with it. Do I just have a bad lot of ammo? Has anyone had similar results?

Thanks

Emerson

·
Registered
504 Posts
The CCI+V is not typically an accurate round out of most rifles. I have found much more accurate ammunion for the 3 22mags that I have owned. My favorites are the 40gr CCI Maxi-Mag, 33gr Rem Premeir and the old 30gr Federal Premiums.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I am completely in love with the TNTs. They are absolutely brutal when it comes to terminal impact....they explode like frag grenades inside of 75 yards but manage to still penetrate 14+ inches with the remaining 60-75% of their mass.

I couldn't believe the wounding I got with these rounds at about 60 yards against large coyotes. If I'd come across a coyote corpse with that kind of wounding, I'd have thought they were hit with a .308 or at least a .270!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Emerson,

The CCI Maxi-MAG +V ammo in my experience, is absolute trash. I've used them on several occasions, even in low wind situations, and they spread out all over the place. Even at the 50yd line.

I doubt it's your rifle, because I've run different batches of this inferior ammo through my 3 different magnum-rimfire rifles and all with the same results.

Use the standard velocity gold box ammo. CCI 40gr. .22wmr TMJ's or HP's. What an amazing difference. Consistant accuracy, with much tighter groups.

And Excellent for small game hunting... :Blasting_

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
I am surprised you could even get 2 1/5 to 3 inch groups with the Maxi Mag +V ammo at 100 yard. I would consider that good shooting with the +V. If want to really splatter a varmit and it is under 50 yards this is the round for you.
The Maxi Mag TNT`s are way more accurate at 50 yards and beyond.

I once shot a Squirrel at about 15 yards with the +V. I hit the squirrel about 2 inches behind the head and the round blew a hole about the size of a 50 cent piece right through the little critter. Darn near blew it in half.

·
Registered
50 Posts
CCI + V Is For Me

Well it sure goes to show that all guns are "tuning forks!"

With my 9422 I tried:

Remington Premiers
CCI Maxi Mags
CCI Maxi Mag + V
Winchester HP
Wichester FMJ
Federal FMJ

CCI Maxi-Mag + Vs were/are tack drivers! In fact, when it comes down to it, I always load the + Vs if I want the most accurate. Now, the Remington Premiers and Winchesters shoot 1" @ 75 yds, but the + Vs are very accurate in my gun. I exploded a rabbit with a + V, so there are no worries about terminal performance with this round either.

Second place are the Rem Premiers. Just today I went 4 for 5 on a milk jug @ 150yds. They all landed within a 5" group. Now that is "minute of ****!" Or minute of anything else I'm going to shoot with the gun.

My rifle will always be fed a good supply of CCI + Vs and Remington Premiers.

For those who haven't tried the CCI + Vs, don't give up on this round before you try it!

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
I use a Savage 93FVSS and it does OK with the +V ammo. Actually Winchester Supreme and Remington Premier only perform OK. But with the TNTs it shoots quite well! And when I say OK yes better than 3"s at 100 yards. This picture was using +V ammo and was only half the distance but it was quite surprizing. Once again TNT is the guns favorite ammo.

Dave Z.

·
Registered
936 Posts
exitwound said:
If I'd come across a coyote corpse with that kind of wounding, I'd have thought they were hit with a .308 or at least a .270!
At LEAST a .270? My friend a .270 has more jam than any .308! I've seen coyotes hit with a .270 shooting 110 gr varmint loads that were blown IN HALF!
Crows turn into "feathers and fumes"! (Same thing with 75 gr .243) My dad killed at least a dozen moose with one shot using 130 and 150 gr Noslers. You ain't gonna get .270 velocity out of a .308. (And I assume you're speaking of the .308 Win and not .308 bore size BTW) Not saying the .308 Win isn't a fine cartridge, it is. (Although I'm more partial to it's "little brother" .243 ) But it ain't no .270!

JMO, of course and I'm a .270 lover... :D

I sure miss Jack O'Connor,
Dennis

·
Registered
922 Posts
Jack?????

Bucks Owin said:
At LEAST a .270? My friend a .270 has more jam than any .308! I've seen coyotes hit with a .270 shooting 110 gr varmint loads that were blown IN HALF!
Crows turn into "feathers and fumes"! (Same thing with 75 gr .243) My dad killed at least a dozen moose with one shot using 130 and 150 gr Noslers. You ain't gonna get .270 velocity out of a .308. (And I assume you're speaking of the .308 Win and not .308 bore size BTW) Not saying the .308 Win isn't a fine cartridge, it is. (Although I'm more partial to it's "little brother" .243 ) But it ain't no .270!

Dennis
Jack???? HOOOOWAAA Sure dating yourself! Knew his stuff---Do definately agree to the possitive on the 270!! Wouldn't be W/O one. Bill

·
Registered
88 Posts
Bucks Owin said:

Dennis
I was just talking out of my arse anyhow. I should have just said "a high-power centerfire," but I was trying to think of wounds I've seen before in that class (diameter and raggedness, not entirely in terms of penetration) and .270/.308 came to mind.

·
Registered
88 Posts
In any case, I'm still shooting TNTs regularly and they are absolutely, bar none, the best projectile/cartridge I have ever fired. The effect on small game is, literally, explosive....and out to around 100 yards, they can take amazingly big prey for a rimfire.

·
Registered
936 Posts
exitwound said:
I was just talking out of my arse anyhow. I should have just said "a high-power centerfire," but I was trying to think of wounds I've seen before in that class (diameter and raggedness, not entirely in terms of penetration) and .270/.308 came to mind.
Hey not to worry, just kinda yankin' your chain anyway! :D Being a long time .270 fan I like to rattle cages now and then by proclaiming it's undeniable sterling performance for the past 80 years! ;)

Dennis

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
Before I floated and bedded my 22mag CZ American, it shot Win Supremes the best. After floating and bedding it now prefers Maxi-Mag+V's. The barrel harmonics changed and so did the ammo preference. Either way, "premium" 22 mag ammo is getting very expensive for plinking/target purposes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.