Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Mauser .22 ES350B single shot,serial number 181XXX. Made in 1938 I am told. The barrel is marked ES350 followed by Ch51. Proof marks are U, B, and G all with a crown above and the number 459. Ver nice handcheckering on the pistol grip (which has a black cap) and foregrip. The barrel has 2 site grooves with numbers 1 - 7 running along the grooves front to back. The stock has a Mauser cartouche.

I am looking for an original Mauser rear sight. I know they are rare.

Respectfully, Bill

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hi Bill,

I don't know whether it would fit, and I realize it wouldn't be original even if it did, but the old bolt-action Brno/CZ .22 rear-sight looks similar to the Mauser's.

I know you said "original" but this might be a solution if you cannot find what you're looking for, but still want to shoot with open sights.

Perhaps someone else could tell you if they're interchangeable.

With best wishes, and good luck!

Spikey.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick replies folks. It's had an old Redfield peep sight on it since the '50's My Dad brought it back from WWII and it apparently did not have an original sight or it may have been misplaced.

I won't hold my breath for an original rear sight 😀

·
Registered
246 Posts
If you get stuck, just put an Anschutz rear sight on it, and shoot it. The BRNO rear sight definitely won't fit, since it was made for a very wide dovetail. There was an open rear sight (to fit on the barrel), and there was a peep sight to fit on the action top dovetail. Somewhere in the back of my mind I seem to think Parker Hale made a rear sight for this rifle too.

·
Premium Member
1,446 Posts
Zbill, the rear sights showup occasionally, but it could be a long search. You might advertise on the k98 and gunboards websites also.

Stephen maly, does the Anschutz rear sight you mention fit the barrel grooves or it a receiver sight? Do you have the sight number or a photo? The reason I ask is that many receiver sights that will fit the dovetail are too long and interfere with the bolt handle.

I have this 340b that was imported into the UK in about 1955 and the front sight was replaced with a Parker Hale globe sight and I presume a Parker Hale receiver sight, a 16e iirc. It was missing that sight and I searched for the Parker Hale for years without success. I ended up modifying an Anschutz to Redfield adapter and used a Redfield Olympic. Shoots well.

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
ok, It may look funny, but it works. I have a Lyman 17A on the front. I machined the 17a to fit the factory ramp. I *might* have done some machining on the sight to make this sight fit. (lol) The bolt opens fine and the bolt stop works, so you can remove the bolt without removing the sight. Very tight fit.

Attachments

·
Registered
Ruger 10/22, Mauser es340?, Brno 581, Remington 514
5 Posts
Do you still have the parts for the rear sight of a 340b? Could you send me a message if you do? I am looking for one
Bryce
Yes, unfortunately, everyone else is looking for one also. Little gems of fine machining and finish. I have a rear sight for a 340B, but that's not the one you need.

Good luck

TBR

·
Registered
170 Posts
I've never seen this pictured sight on a Mauser before, sorta like a hybrid KKW/micrometer unit.
It doesn't have finger adjustable knobs, instead it has a square clock key for windage adjustments and mounting.
It fits perfect on ES/MS style dovetailed barrels.
I don't thinks it's a Mauser sight, anyone know?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,446 Posts
I've never seen this pictured sight on a Mauser before, sorta like a hybrid KKW/micrometer unit.
It doesn't have finger adjustable knobs, instead it has a square clock key for windage adjustments and mounting.
It fits perfect on ES/MS style dovetailed barrels.
I don't thinks it's a Mauser sight, anyone know?
Moa, I think it is a Walther sight, I have an Olympic that iirc has that sight. Ill get it out tomorrow to compare. Have you tried it on a grooved barrel Walther?

·
Premium Member
1,446 Posts
Eyewear Personal protective equipment Fashion accessory Metal Wood
Hood Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle door
Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Gun accessory Tool
Wood Trigger Air gun Shotgun Office equipment

Moa, I think it is a Walther sight, I have an Olympic that iirc has that sight. Ill get it out tomorrow to compare. Have you tried it on a grooved barrel Walther?
Well,looks very, very close but some slight differences in the Walther long sight. The most obvious to me is sight leaf is reduced in width at the front pivot point and mine uses a slotted screw for the windage.

·
Premium Member
1,446 Posts
I have owned a couple of Geco 28 sights that used keys of different sizes for attachment and windage but can not find any of my photos of them. Your sight may be one. They usually fit a 10mm rail and needed to be opened some for an 11mm rail. Ill keep looking through my photos and post if i find one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts