Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I broke down today and bought the Pentel .5mm Automatic Pencils.

They are the P205 Automatic Drafting pencils, as Ted has told everyone. About $9 for 2 of them.

Well, I just installed one of the springs in my 17V. It already had a 2.5lb. trigger, from me stoning the hammer/sear engagement.

Well, with the new spring in it, I would say the trigger pull is a very crisp 1lb., maybe less. :)

I wish I would try it on a factory Marlin trigger, but my 882SSV, 17V and 25MNSS all have trigger jobs that I did at home......

The best thing about it, is that it is still safe! I pulled the trigger very hard with the Safety on and it didn't fire. Then I put it on Fire and hit the butt of the rifle on the ground 4X hard. Nothing at all!

I LOVE IT!!! :t :t For this one!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Viper, I tried the Pentel pencil too but I have ?. I read somewhere in here about there being 2 springs in the pencil. The spring I used was smaller in diameter than the factory spring, it works great but I never thought about their being 2. Was there 2? Also did it take a couple of time honing? I honed a little and got the trigger crisp but after dry firing a few times I got some creep again and it tighten up a little. thanks.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Not to get off the subject too much - maybe Viper can help me out. I recall you recommending the Marlin 882SSV 22 mag some time I ago when I was looking for a 22 mag. I eneded up getting a CZ Lux but I might be looking at a heavy barrel 22 mag since my tax returns should be here soon.

What kind of 5 shot avg. accuracy can you achieve at 50 yds and 100 yds with the ammo it likes best?

Does it shoot well with CCI 40 grain Maxi-Mags? ( solid or hollow points)

Finally , I assume the 17VS stock would be a drop fit? Marlin also sells a two tone brown stock - is it possilble to get that one to fit?

Thanks
Rob

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
smokeholeman,

I only found 1 spring in my pencils....
I had to break the pencil to get it off, but $4.50 for a trigger job is a very, very good price!!!

It is a smaller diameter then the other spring and it is longer, but not half as rigid as the Marlin spring. I've got the entire pen here, in pieces, and I don't see another spring. Make sure it is the P205 Automatic Drafting Pencil. It is mostly black, with a white eraser.

As far as stoning my trigger, it took about 4X of stoning and putting it back together. It was actually very easy. I have no pre-travel, no creep and just a hint of overtravel. I can live with a trigger as crisp as all of them on my Marlins!!!

452shooter,

Yes, that was probably me that recommended the 882SSV. I've got one. With the factory stock and a trigger job, I was shooting 5-shot groups in the .3" range with both Winchester Supremes and CCI TNTs. .29" was the best, with the Win. Supremes. Definitely the best ammo out there for .22WMRs, in my opinion.
After I changed the stock to the Richard's Micro-Fit (Electric Blue Laminate), my groups opened up to about .6" at 50 yards....

I did some more work on the stock and completely free-floated the barrel, but I haven't taken it out again since...It's been too cold and I've been working on other things. I don't know how it shoots at 100 yards, because I shoot in a friend's backyard and it is only about 65 yards at the longest. I'd venture to guess that it is definitely sub-MOA.

The Marlin 17VS stock should go right in, but I don't know about the brown laminated stock. If you contact Marlin, they should be able to tell you.....

I'm going to be getting the 17VS stock soon, for my 17V. It looks so much better!!!

Good luck! :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
882SSV

452 shooter, I have a 882SSV and like Viper's(correct me if I'm wrong Viper), it likes Winchester Supremes best. It groups sub 1 inch at 100 yrds and 1/2 inch at 50 yrds.
Both of the Marlin stocks you mentioned will drop right in. I'm looking hard at the brown laminate.
Another sonewhat expensive ($80.00) upgrade is the riflebasix trigger. I put one in the 882SSV and love it. I have it adjusted to approx. 1 lb pull with no creep. I tried all of the stock trigger fixes and wasn't satisfied with the results.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mark B is correct....

Winchester Supremes shoot the best in all of my .22WMRs. I've got 4 of them and the Supremes give me the best groups in all of them.

Awesome ammo!!!!

$219 isn't bad at all!

One thing that amazes me about the 882SSV, is that the dealer price for the 882SSV is cheaper than the 882SS and the 882SS doesn't have a heavy barrel....

Very strange! :)

·
Registered
632 Posts
I've also got an SV. It will shoot sub 1" ( 5/8 was my best) @100 when I do my part and with ammo it likes. It's not too finiky but does show a prefference for the 40 gr mid power solid points.
I did a trigger job, floated the barrel and glassed the acion in one of those brown laminates. Allso shortened mag and added a 4-12X44 scope. I'd post pics but havn't gotten around to figuring it out. Anyway, Hard to find fault in a rifle that looks great and will allow you to snipe 45 brass at 90 yds for under $350!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Viper - I checked out the 882SSV and the 883SS this afternoon at Gander Mountain. The 883SS was $10 higher but the laminated stock of the 883SS was a lot nicer than the black plastic stock of the 882SSV. Plus the 883SS had a more polished stainless finish while the 882SSV had the dull matte finish. Don't know if the 883SS has two bedding screws like the 882SSV?

If I get the 882SSV the first thing I will do after the trigger job is polishing the barrel! I wish they just made the 882SSV with a laminated stock to begin with.

I guess the reason the 882SS has a higher dealer price than the 882SSV might be because of the polished stainless finish?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Spring Question

Howdy Viper! You mentioned that the Pentel spring was longer and had thinner coils than the Marlin stock spring...

Did you cut the Pentel spring to match the length of the Marliun spring, or intall it as-is?

Thanks!

--Otter

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I installed the spring "as-is".

Even though it is longer, it is much less stiff than the Marlin factory trigger and compresses very easily.

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
632 Posts
452, The 882SS has a high luster barrel/action similar to the 883SS if that is important to you. ( The SSV has a bead blasted finish to theoreticly reduce glare while hunting.) It's about $40-50 cheaper than the SSV ( and has 2 screws) Stock is identical style but it will drop right into the laminated stock as well. ( $70) They also make a 882L which is a blued version in laminate. Also purtty but close in price to the SSV. Me, I couldn't make up my mind and bought 3 of them :)

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firearms/boltAction22magWClip/index.htm:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Wee Hooker said:
Me, I couldn't make up my mind and bought 3 of them :)
]

Well I guess that's one way of eliminating "which to buy"! :D I'll try to decide between the 883SS and the 882SSV. I may actually allow myself to buy one of these once my tax returns arrive this week.

·
Registered
1 Posts
ALL;
In the years that I have been tinkering with trigger jobs, I have found that the spring on the valve core in auto tires has some applications. These can be had at all tire centers. They should cost nothing, as they throw many of them away everyday. All that is needed to remove them is a valve stem remover. I use the cut off wheel in a Dremel tool to remove the spring from the stem. This is also the best way to cut any spring to length, as you will not damage the coils on either side of the cut. You can also regulate the spring weight by grinding one coil off at a time with the cut off wheel.
One other tip I may relay onto those who hone these 22 cal. triggers. The case harding isn't deep and any honing will go below the case. You will have a nice trigger but after some use, it can become unreliable or even dangerious. You must re-heattreat the sear part of the trigger with a torch and a product called Kas-nit. Available from Brownells or from Midway's Gunsmithing Catalog.
Hope this shines some light on the trigger jobs of rimfire rifles.

Dave McGrath ;)

·
Registered
116 Posts
I used a spring out of a papermate pen. It lowered the trigger pull on my 17VS considerably. I can not tell you by exactly how much, because I don't have a trigger pull gauge. But the difference is very noticable. It is a nice cheap couple of dollar trigger job. This is not my picture, but it is what I used.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mr. Chitlin,

That almost looks like an exact replacement as far as length/width goes!

Thanks for the information!!! A cheaper alternative to the P205 spring!!!

:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.