Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in a spot here and would appreciate some input. Mostly looking for the best of both worlds, but willing to settle. As is the case with many here I've
been consumed with the "itis". Just love it, and hope there's never a cure.
Anyway, I am in need of a CB/Colibri unit for use in my 35ft. basement range, but would also like to use it for long range stuff too (50-75yds.). My choices have been narrowed down to the Henry h001 lever gun with the tube feed.
Oorrrrrrr, the Marlin 981t bolt gun with oyu guessed it , tube feed. Both guns feed long rifle, long, and short ammo, and both will hold more than the standard 7-10 shots(I prefer loading less often). I'm sure there are plenty of great reasons for both or others but first let me tell you, my 10/22 will be paid off by the end of the month, and my U.S. Survival rifle isn't cutting it, even though I got a "good" one and can't complain about it.
Thanks in advance for all input, I'm hoping to get something I can use as an everyday rifle, then pull out the others for "specialty" use (yeah right, I
just want an excuse for another rifle).

Mitch

P.S. Accuracy is very important so if you have numbers/pictures etc.
please pass them on. Thanks. :beerchug:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Between those two rifles, I'd choose the Marlin 981T. They're inexpensive (less than $150 at Wally-World(if not in stock they can order it for you), easy to scope, should be dead-solid reliable, & lots of help here if you decide to try a "po-boy's trigger job". Also, it has a nice long 22" bbl that will help keep those CB caps & Colibris quiet. It holds half a box of shorts, too! :cool:

Accuracy: no way to really know without test firing rifles side by side, *But*: in general, I'd expect a Marlin bolt action to group tighter than a Henry lever action. No guarantees on that, though.

The little Henrys look kinda neat, but if I ever get .22 lever action, it'll probably be a Marlin, Winchester, or Browning, with my preference in that order. And BTW: the Marlin 39AS has a 24" bbl- that would really keep things quiet. ;)

·
Registered
872 Posts
I don't know about the 981t but I have a Henry H001. It's a great little rifle and very accurate with the PMC Moderators. It's also amazingly accurate with the CB shorts and CB longs at 30-50 feet. No problems with it at all so far.
Weather permitting, I'll shoot it tomorrow with the CB's. If I can, I'll post some pics............

·
Registered
364 Posts
I cannot vouch for the Marlin, but my Henry shoots the Super Colibri and the CB Longs pretty well. About ten yards I once got a group of .7, this is the only time I have shot them to measure though. I have tried them in my Marlin 60 and both did ok, over an inch at 10 yards for both ammo but again this was shot the same time as the Henry and the only time I have tried. I can put all 17 Colibri in 3" target spot at 20 yards with my Henry, with most in the 1" ring. Maybe someone will come along that has the Marlin and give some info. Either way you go I don't think you will be disappointed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all. I have to say that with the CBs I shot out of my Survival rifle, they grouped tight sometimes then opened up other times at 20-25 yds.
Dynapoints kept together at 3/4 - 1.5 which is expected from this gun per everything I've read on it so for. Of course I haven't run all possible ammo through it yet. Colibris seem to be harder to control at anything over 25 ft. but super fun anyway. Is the shorter barrel any louder than the Marlin? I think it's a 4 inch difference. Doesn't seem like much but I'm sure it makes a
difference. Does the microgrooveing eliminate the use of CBs or is it just not as accurrate? All replies appreciated.
Mitch

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.