Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking into buying one of these marlins for the interest of building up my rimfire collection which now only consists of one lonely ruger 10/22. Anyhow I have seen these at wally world and for about 118.00 dollars which I find to be very affordable. Getting back to the question I was wondering from anyone who owns one of these to tell me a little more about them include how reliable they are how they fire and generally how well thay accept different kinds of ammo. Also I was wondering if these accept some of the new subsonic and hypersonic ammo interchangably. Anyhow thanks in advance these have been very hard to find out opinions on hopfully rimfire central will yield some more results. Once again thanks. :Blasting_

---- LoudGuns

·
Registered
645 Posts
howdy...

the 795:

Good rifle, will take high velocity and subsonic LR rounds well. inherently accurate gun. ive shot Winchester Dynapoints, Remington sub-sonic, & CCI mini mag out of mine all with good results. i would stay away from any hyper velocity rounds with any semi auto marlin, thats just a personal thing. Stock marlins are better by far than stock ruger 10/22's ( i own a 10/22 that i tricked out). just get lots of mags a good scope and rock and roll with it. i find them very reliable with the exception of the "Last Shot BOlt Hold Open" feature, thats kinda hit and miss on my gun. but seriously, i think it will be a very worth while addition to your collection. good luck & good shooting! -Eric

·
Registered
14 Posts
I love mine its very accurate (with my Bushnell Banner 4-12x40) and will take pretty much any ammo you throw at it. Ive shot subs and hypers both worked fine, it will fire as fast as you can pull the trigger.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys finally some answers. After that I will be buying one next week after more money comes in. I will be putting a bushnell scope on it and probably a harris bipod and maybe in the future a supressor. Thanks

~Chris

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
LoudGuns said:
Thanks guys finally some answers. After that I will be buying one next week after more money comes in. I will be putting a bushnell scope on it and probably a harris bipod and maybe in the future a supressor. Thanks

~Chris
Before you buy, you might want to check out the threads on buying guns at "Wally World". I'm not going to say "don't buy there" by any means, but you should know your local store's policies as well as the corporation's on handling warrenty and return issues. Some stores seem to have hired knowledgable people for their sporting goods departments and some haven't (and not only Walmart).... that might influence your decision, too. I don't know what retail is on that model but the lowest priced dealer isn't always the best place to buy. BTW, I am not a dealer so I don't have a vested interest in suggesting your locally owned retailer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
grandparem said:
Before you buy, you might want to check out the threads on buying guns at "Wally World". I'm not going to say "don't buy there" by any means, but you should know your local store's policies as well as the corporation's on handling warrenty and return issues. Some stores seem to have hired knowledgable people for their sporting goods departments and some haven't (and not only Walmart).... that might influence your decision, too. I don't know what retail is on that model but the lowest priced dealer isn't always the best place to buy. BTW, I am not a dealer so I don't have a vested interest in suggesting your locally owned retailer.
Some of the stuff on Wally World is wrong. For 1 its not the stores problem if the gun is damaged. You have to get into contact with the manuf. of your gun, that is how Cabelas and Gander Mountain are here. They both also each have a person walk the gun out with you. Those are just a few off the top of my head.

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
Affirmed said:
Some of the stuff on Wally World is wrong. For 1 its not the stores problem if the gun is damaged. You have to get into contact with the manuf. of your gun, that is how Cabelas and Gander Mountain are here. They both also each have a person walk the gun out with you. Those are just a few off the top of my head.
It may or may not be the stores fault that a gun is damaged but it is their responsibility if they sell you damaged goods. It may have gotten damaged any number of places along the way but I don't care where it's damaged, the store is the selling agent and as such should do whatever it takes to correct the problem for the buyer. We weren't talking about a problem that shows up later, but a problem that existed at the time it was purchased.
You will notice that I didn't say not to buy there, I just think people should be aware of potential issues. I too shop at Walmart, Cabela's, Gander Mt., etc. but I wouldn't buy a gun at my local Walmart because they don't have anyone that knows anything except where the key to the cabinet is.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Good ol' "buyer beware"....

One local WM (must be 50 of the %$# stores in a 50 mile radius) has a guy in the gun department who is fantastic. He takes special delight in ordering guns and gabbing about them.

Meanwhile I dealt with two Sportsman's Warehouses--noted for their customer service--and the service sucked at both.

My local gun shop --in which good service is the only defense against the Big Boxes -- has a couple clerks who look down their nose at you unless you're buying a $1,500 shotgun.

It's about people.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Usually at the walmart in my area the sporting goods department representatives are actually quite knowledgable. I have bought quite a few guns there without a hitch or any damage. I have heard of alot of people having problems at walmart but I never have. I also agree that at certain gun stores when you are buying a special order 50 cal rifle :D they are very friendly but when you come back a couple months later to buy a 150 dollar 22 they have some attitude problem. Haven't I spend enough? Be happy with what you get. I guess if you don't feel comfortable buying a walmart don't but if you do, why spend the extra money for the same rifle? I justhave one last question - If you researched a gun before you go to the store and buy it (which most people do) why do you need a knowledgable sales person? All they really to do is open the safe. No offense intended, just curious. :D

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
LoudGuns said:
Usually at the walmart in my area the sporting goods department representatives are actually quite knowledgable. I have bought quite a few guns there without a hitch or any damage. I have heard of alot of people having problems at walmart but I never have. I also agree that at certain gun stores when you are buying a special order 50 cal rifle :D they are very friendly but when you come back a couple months later to buy a 150 dollar 22 they have some attitude problem. Haven't I spend enough? Be happy with what you get. I guess if you don't feel comfortable buying a walmart don't but if you do, why spend the extra money for the same rifle? I justhave one last question - If you researched a gun before you go to the store and buy it (which most people do) why do you need a knowledgable sales person? All they really to do is open the safe. No offense intended, just curious. :D
It's not as much a problem buying it as having a problem after you walk out the door. Another thing I hear is that at some stores, the policy is you can't inspect the gun you're buying.... can't open the box in the store if it doesn't come with a trigger lock installed. If you're comfortable with that, fine. Just a good practice to know your local store's policy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One last question, would you buy a marlin 795 over a ruger 10/22. I have a ruger but an not sure if I should just get another ruger to customize or save my money alittle and buy a marlin 795.

·
Registered
14 Posts
grandparem said:
It's not as much a problem buying it as having a problem after you walk out the door. Another thing I hear is that at some stores, the policy is you can't inspect the gun you're buying.... can't open the box in the store if it doesn't come with a trigger lock installed. If you're comfortable with that, fine. Just a good practice to know your local store's policy.
All guns must come with some kind of trigger lock now. Dont you remember them making you sign the paper saying your gun comes with one? ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
grandparem said:
It may or may not be the stores fault that a gun is damaged but it is their responsibility if they sell you damaged goods. It may have gotten damaged any number of places along the way but I don't care where it's damaged, the store is the selling agent and as such should do whatever it takes to correct the problem for the buyer. We weren't talking about a problem that shows up later, but a problem that existed at the time it was purchased.
You will notice that I didn't say not to buy there, I just think people should be aware of potential issues. I too shop at Walmart, Cabela's, Gander Mt., etc. but I wouldn't buy a gun at my local Walmart because they don't have anyone that knows anything except where the key to the cabinet is.
Your a moron if you buy damaged goods and if you do oh well tough luck its your problem. :1t

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.