Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Marlin Model 70

989 23
Just traded for a Marlin Mod. 70 today. I don't know much about it but it looks to be a nice, small plinker. I would like to post a picture, but do not know how to reduce the size. My pics. come out very large. Any information on the rifle or how to post pictures would be appreciated. Thanks.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I have a Marlin Model 70. I don't know the years that they were made. They are nothing but a Model 60 that uses magazines instead of the tube. Mine is very accurate.

first production mid 60's
i was thinking a glenfield mod-70
which is simular to the 989m2 but it has no wrap around fore grip

a good thing about your 70, if its early vintage it has no plastic parts inside.
i have one on the bench right now!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mine just says Marlin Model 70. The first two numbers in the serial number are 09, so I guess it was made in 1991. Correct? It looks like it has plastic parts in the trigger assembly. Anything I should do with it? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Anything I should do with it? Thanks.
Yes, go out and shoot it and enjoy.
I installed the swivels myself. It is by far one of the most accurate semi-autos that I have ever own or shot, I can only imagine what the heavy barrel version (7000) will do. Mine shoots best with Federal 550 bulk packs from Wally World. I can get 3/4" or smaller groups at 50 yards when I do my part. On a side note, I bought one of them 15 round magazines from Numrich (e-gunparts) and really had to fiddle with it to get it to work right.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
The Glenfield 70 became the Marlin 70 when Marlin dropped the Glenfield name in 1983. As you can see from the picture above, when they dropped the Glenfield name, the barrel band, checkering on the stock were eliminated. 12Bravo...Did you put swivels on your rifle or did they come with them ?
PLUS INSIDE PART MATERIALS!!!!!!!!!!!
ARE THE BIG DIFFERENCE.
VERSES THE 60'S MODELS

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Took the Model 70 out yesterday for the first time. What a joy. Fed everything I could put in it. NO FTFs or FTEs. I am totally happy with its performance. Seemed to like CCI MiniMags. Had a Weaver K3 scope on it, but my old eyes couldn't see the target very well. Have since switched to a Redfield 3X9 that will suit my needs much better.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
:D :bthumb: "Marlins + Mini-mags" go together just like "Beer + Pizza"!!!!:bthumb: :D 'Gotta' Love It !!! ;) -Blkwollf!!!
Took the Model 70 out yesterday for the first time. What a joy. Fed everything I could put in it. NO FTFs or FTEs. I am totally happy with its performance. Seemed to like CCI MiniMags. Had a Weaver K3 scope on it, but my old eyes couldn't see the target very well. Have since switched to a Redfield 3X9 that will suit my needs much better.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
:D :bthumb: "Marlins + Mini-mags" go together just like "Beer + Pizza"!!!!:bthumb: :D 'Gotta' Love It !!! ;) -Blkwollf!!!
I HEAR-YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I LIKE YOUR STYLE:bthumb:
LIKE BEER AND ANYTHING:D
OR BEER AND NOTHING!!!!!!!:D

TNT,
I TOLD YA THEM MINI'S WILL SHOOT YOU WELL...........
SO, LETS HAVE A BEER ON THAT:bthumb:

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
:D :D :bthumb: :bthumb: "OR SIX"!!!:beerchug: :t -Blkwollf!!!...........
SO, LETS HAVE A BEER ON THAT:bthumb:[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
301 Posts
I ran across a model 70 at a gunshow and gave $100 for it. At the time I had a 10-22 with all the good stuff in it. The Marlin wouldn't quite out do it, but it was very very close. I did manage to get it into the Quarter inch club over in the SuperStock forum. I gave the 70 to my son, to be used for father and son plinking when my grandson is old enough. I haven't ran across any more of them since then, but if I do you can bet if the price is reasonable it will come home with me.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.