Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend brought over a Marlin Model 60 in very good condition, but with a problem. It fails to fire about once very three shots. The cases show very light strikes. I took it apart and used Gun Scrubber on it (lot's of black gunk) but I think it needs a new hammer spring and maybe a new firing pin. Ant thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
If you take the bolt out,make sure the firing pin flops back and forth as you shake the bolt.I've seen them with lots of crud and rust and they don't want to move.They sometimes bend because of this and you have to remove the pin and put it on a flat surface and pound it flat again.You may want to check out the extractor ports on each side of the chamber for gunk.They can get filled with gunk and prevent the bolt from fully closing.You have to dig this out with a small screwdriver or pick and solvent.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Terry G said:
A friend brought over a Marlin Model 60 in very good condition, but with a problem. It fails to fire about once very three shots. The cases show very light strikes. I took it apart and used Gun Scrubber on it (lot's of black gunk) but I think it needs a new hammer spring and maybe a new firing pin. Ant thoughts would be appreciated.
Terry G,

Open and lock your bolt and look at the rear of the barrel. If it seems to have been dry fired allot I'll bet your pin has a flat spot and is shy short enough to hit the primer just a hair. If you can part with it for a short time I'd take it to a smith and just get a new pin put in and hammer spring. Only possible other could be that the original owner left the rifle cocked for long periods of time causing the hammer spring to get weak. That could be your main cause of the weak strikes.

wmirmfire,22

·
36,633 Posts
A very dirty/leaded up chamber can cause this as well. If the front of the chamber gets a ring of lead/lube it keeps the round from seating all the way and then when the firing pin hits it there is a cushioning effect ans it looks like a light hit on the primer. Take a good brass brush and brush the heck out of just the chamber area.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Most failures are caused by poor maintenance, good scrubbing of all parts in the mechanisim, I would lube it only with dry lube (I love it for auto rimfire actions, it does not attact gunk like oil will.) Try different ammos, hammer sping is easy to replace to see it it will help, does the firing pin stick out of the boltface enough? Is the chamber face warn? Is the chamber clean etc. try these first then we will work from there. Good Luck

·
Registered
836 Posts
Vincent said:
A very dirty/leaded up chamber can cause this as well. If the front of the chamber gets a ring of lead/lube it keeps the round from seating all the way and then when the firing pin hits it there is a cushioning effect ans it looks like a light hit on the primer. Take a good brass brush and brush the heck out of just the chamber area.
Vincent,

I'll bet you could be right on that. Usually problems are fixed by the simpliest things like dirty chambers. Terry, soak your barrel well and use a brass brush. Be sure not to ding your crown.

wmrimfire,22

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.