Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a chance to pickup a mod 81 the other day. It looked like it was in good condition except that it wouldn't load the cartridge properly. Seemed to jam. Is this a common problem on these tube fed bolts?

I have a mod 80 that's one of my more accurate older rifles that I have. I wanted to add a tube fed but was afraid I couldn't get parts for it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Marlin 81 feed problem

What you're experiencing is most likely due to a broken (or missing) cartridge guide spring. The guide spring is simply a flat spring located immediately above the chamber opening. You can easily see it when the bolt is open. The spring should protrude approximately 3/32" straight back. As you can probably envision, this spring makes contact with the nose of the bullet as it loads into the chamber. The spring guides the bullet nose into the chamber.
Replacement is a relatively simple procedure. GPC has the spring in stock (I am in the process of the same repair on one of my two 81s. The spring is about $1.35 plus S&H. The most difficult part of this repair is removing the barrel from the receiver. Remove the action from the stock. On the underside of the barrelled action you should see a cross pin holding the barrel into the receiver. Drive the pin out. Now depending on age and rust, the barrel can be removed from the action. I clamp the barrel into a bench vise using 1/4" thick red rubber to cusion the barrel and provide better grip. Then, with a brass punch and hammer, drive the action away from the barrel. If age/rust is a problem apply some Kroil to the area and allow to soak in. This may require any number of applications. I've never had to use the Kroil more than once, but have heard real nightmare stories. If necessary, use some heat from a propane or Mapp torch on the receiver. Do not over heat the material since that will compromise the properties of the steel. In addition you do not want to apply too much heat that it causes scale inside the barrel. Once the barrel is free and separated, you'll see where the cartridge guide spring sits in a shallow recess ont he top side of the barrel. Repalce it with the new one, clean any rust from the mating surfaces and reassemble.
Really not a big deal considering what a good shooters the old 81s are.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Its been my experience that the heat is the key to getting them off, And when putting it on i've found that if you freeze the barrel, then lightly heat the action you can get them together pretty easily, a little bit of oil on the barrel shank and inside the reciever before pushing them together. Make sure your alignment is on right away or else it might have some issues for you later on.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:t Thanks you all. I will check for that piece on it. I suspect it's missing.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Worth the trouble as mine is real shooter and loads shorts& LR's beautifully. I'm gonna gllue some #12 Weaver bases on the reciever as soon as I get my rings in and add a scope. It'll shoot with my G39A all day.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Some wher down the road I posted that I insatlled a TC muzzel loading double set trigger set up on my 81. Sure is sweet,the kicker breaks after about 1000 rds, and you have to make a new stock and a trigger guard that holds the triggers in place,but I can assure you,you will be in for a treat. (oh yeah,had a machinest to groove the receiver for scope. I believe d&t would be simplier now. Paul W

·
Registered
475 Posts
Re: double-set triggers

dtoggs,

Hi! Where you did you acquire your "muzzle-loading double-set" triggers from for your Model 81? If you have any pictures of the completed rifle and are able to post them, I'd like to see what it looks like. Thanks! ;)

Best regards,

"akrimfire" :snipersmi

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.