Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was lookin to buy a marlin 883 magnum. does anyone know how accurate the gun is, and how it compares to a ruger 10/22 and a remington 597 and what the best scope is for under 100 dollars. thanks

marlinmag

·
Registered
632 Posts
All the 883/882 mags are great shooters. You can expect better accuracy out of the box than the two auto loaders mentioned for the most part. Price is near 1/2 as well. Scope choice depends on your intended use. Check the scope/optics forum on this site. There is a thread there on TASCO sales that might help.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Marlinmag!

Looking at your user name; it looks like you've already made up your mine.

To answer your question about 883 accuracy. I bought a used 883 several years ago. It had an economy Tasco scope on it. I also got a brick of Federal ammo to try it out. It was all grimy like it had been over a cook stove. I was amazed when it cleaned up perfectly, as well as to find out it has a nice checkered walnut stock.

I took a day off to try it out. At 50 yards I couldn't even keep all the shots from one magazine load, 12 I think, on a 8 1/2 by 11 sheet of paper. I took a break from the range and visited a local gun shop. I asked the owner if he ever heard of a microgrove barrel going bad. He asked why and when I told him he just handed me a box of Winchester 22Mag HP's and said for 6$ your problem is solved. I went ahead and bought the ammo to humor him. Back to the range. I was amazed that with Winchester ammo it put all the shots at 50 yards in a hole about the size of a quarter.

Then I grouped the gun with Federal and Winchester ammo. The difference was amazing. I even sent the targets to Federal and complained, but never received an answer. I was a rookie at that time, but I least they could have responded that different guns like different ammo.

Anyway, I cleaned the gun and the tight Winchester groups opened up considerably. I was glad to read a post recently about how the rifle needs to fouled to shoot well.
I ordered a Rifle Basix trigger for it a couple days and will post the accuracy results with the new trigger and some additional fouling.

BTW CCI's shot a little better than the Federals, but not near as well as the Winchesters.

I am anxious to let it try some of the1720's Remington Premiers, Winchester Supremes, and Dyanmit Nobels.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Two Good Points.
The trigger on all marlin 880 series are not grat out of the box. ( Of course neither are the Rugers) . You'll probobly want to work it a little simple enough if your handy. Not to hard to get it 2-3# and crisp. You can also go all out and replace it.

They can be finicky about ammo if you want the best accuracy. Both of my 882's won't shoot anything worse than 3" @100 and regularly shoot under 1" w the right foder ( Federal 40's for one, Wincherster 33's for the other.)

:t

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi MarlinMag,
I've got a tricked out 10/22 and a 597 with VQ trigger. Also have an old Marlin 25M and a newer 882 with Microgroove.
By far and away, the marlins are better out of the box than any gun I've ever had.
I've got Simmons 4X9X32 scopes on both of them. They are fairly inexpensive and for 100yds and under that I shoot, they're fine.
Yes the triggers are hard. I've clipped the spring by 2 coils and polished (stoned) the hammer/sear on both of them. That took about 15 minutes (I cheated and used a dremel to poliish... NOT RECOMMENDED) and have nice crisp 2# triggers. You can find more about that in these forums. Also the warnings about overdoing the trigger work. Read them as well.
Good Shooting....

PS: With the $600 I spent on the 10/22 upgrades, I could have bought a lot of Marlins....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Trigger on 880 series

I've got an 883SS. Pulling the trigger was like pulling a stump! (But it was a decent shooter) My trigger scale goes up to 6 Lbs., and this went past that and pegged before releasing. I just spent about 15 minutes replacing the trigger spring with one out of a Pentel auto pencil model PD305T. Had to shorten the spring to the same length as the original. It is now down to 4 1/2 Lbs., with no further work. I've read here that using a spring from a Pentel model P205 (Maybe PD205) and some polishing will get it down into the 2 to 3 Lb. range. I haven't done any stoning/polishing yet, but plan to do that tommorrow. I may go to a weaker spring when I can find one. One thing I did do before removing the barrel and action from the stock was mark the position of the groove in the barrel screw relative to the stock. I also counted the number of screw turns it took to release the barrel and action from the stock. (Don't have torque wrench) Mine was only turned in 3 1/2 turns and was not tight, just snug. I wanted to do as much as I could to get the same tension on the action screw in reassembly (Same turns back in after engagement and as close as possible to the same screw groove position to fine tune it).

·
Registered
632 Posts
FWIW,

You can get down to 3+/-# by just shortening the existing spring by a turn. A few min of polishing will get you another .5-1#. Just go slow and light. You can't put material back on. Niciest triggers off all my sporters once they were done.

·
Registered
616 Posts
A buddie of mine has the 882, I have the 25mn, both the triggers are hard pulls, or in other words the triggers suck. But that is the only bad thing about the Marlin 22wmr's I have found. Me thinks its a liability issue, so I'm most likely off on a replacement trigger mission in this spring. My gunsmith floored me by saying he would rather not do a trigger job because of liability. Nobody wants to get sued of course. Can't blame him for that. Rather I blame the liberals for breeding the mentality and the lawyers for providing the just sign here firepower that if not put back in check will one day take part in bringing this country to it's knees.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.