Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

marlin 981T

659 Views 5 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  mrpike
Was thinking of getting a 981T any feed back on it . and What do you guys think of it.

Used an old 81 as a kid in the late 50s and 60s did in a pile of gophers with it then .,

Derrick
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
544 Posts
mrpike said:
Was thinking of getting a 981T any feed back on it . and What do you guys think of it.

Used an old 81 as a kid in the late 50s and 60s did in a pile of gophers with it then .,

Derrick
I have a Marlin Model 81 TS, which is the very same rifle as the 981 T. It is just a bit older. The only difference between the two is that the 981 T has Marlins proprietary new T-900 trigger system in it. Essentially they are the same gun, though.

Let me tell you I LOVE my 81 TS. The Tubular magazine is great. Very easy to load, and so much easier on the fingers than the 10/22 magazines.

This model WILL feed and eject reliably all 3 types of cartridges (short, long, and long rifle). You can even mix and match them in the magazine. Makes for an interesting shooting session. You never know which one will go off next!

The accuracy (as with all Marlins) is extremely good. I can group a string of five rounds into less than an inch at 50 yards consistantly. That is even with el-cheapo Remington Golden Bullets. ( I do have a 3x9-40 scope on it).

I was punching tacks at that range yesterday. Pretty impressive for me! The rifle is more accurate than I am, that is for sure!

Mine has always been very reliable, it feeds, fires, extracts, and ejects flawlessly.

If you want to buy one, I'd say go ahead. You won't be disappointed. It's a Marlin.

Good Shooting!

· Registered
77 Posts
Also waiting for an old 81

I recently bought a Western Auto Revelation 101.13 (= Marlin 81). I haven't received it yet, but I can't wait. It's not in the best condition, looks like a bad case of closet cancer. I'm thinking I might chop the barrel a little, and work up a custom stock. I'm just wondering if any of the newer (781, 981 etc...) parts will fit it. And once I get it open, I hope it has the separate trigger and sear, not the one-piece.

· Registered
36 Posts
Just got my 981T yesterday and put a 4 power scope on it. Took it to the range today, and it worked absolutely great. No problems with any type of ammo, trigger was reasonably crisp, and it grouped well for the first time out. It's fun to load up with 25 shorts- seems like you can shoot forever without reloading! Looking forward to much fun with it. I also have a 982 magnum which I really like also. Marlins make a good rifle.

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi there everyone

Have a 81 coming now Q for you all its a 81-DL very nice condition but can't find a listing for it. Does anyone know anything about that model?? I have info on the 81 ,81-C,81-E, 81-DC, 81-G but nothing on the 81-DL

Anyone know anything?

thanks

Derrick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.