Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tried searching but nothing came up. anyone give some info on one of these, found one at a local pawn shop. might be able to get out the door for 125.00, has a real nice checkerd wood stock with a 3x9 simmons on it. the scope (age ?) has red numerals with simmons in red also. gun overall i'd say 90%+ not beat up at all. serial # begins w/07. worth it? oh, might take my 75 carbine (72 model) + 30.00.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Sounds like a good deal. I think it's the daddy of the 981t. I paid $150 new for my 981t new but added a pricy stock. You get a nice stock and scope to boot for less. You dont get the t900 trigger set, but who cares. You can still lighten the trigger if you want. Does it shoot 22LR & shorts too like the 981t?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Sounds like a good deal. I think it's the daddy of the 981t. I paid $150 new for my 981t new but added a pricy stock. You get a nice stock and scope to boot for less. You dont get the t900 trigger set, but who cares. You can still lighten the trigger if you want. Does it shoot 22LR & shorts too like the 981t?
haven't shot shorts thru it yet (just says lr on the bbl) got to get it home first :) . i've got a 981t, just out of curiosity will this stock interchange with the 981t? also got any ideal how old that simmons may be. just trying to see if they are about the same age. the trigger seemed pretty smooth in the shop but could be different with a round in it. from what i gathered it is a 93 model. looks awful nice, more than likely i'll be there in the mornin' when they open !! looks like the carbine and 30.00 is gonna be the deal. you see alot about the 781 but very little on the 881, are they that much alike as to why there is little info on the 881? just don't need an oddball if this is the case. sorry so long of a post but you guys are a gigantic wealth of info here. thanks, tony

·
Registered
486 Posts
tried searching but nothing came up. anyone give some info on one of these, found one at a local pawn shop. might be able to get out the door for 125.00, has a real nice checkerd wood stock with a 3x9 simmons on it. the scope (age ?) has red numerals with simmons in red also. gun overall i'd say 90%+ not beat up at all. serial # begins w/07. worth it? oh, might take my 75 carbine (72 model) + 30.00.
We have two of these 881's and they were the ultimate squirrel rifle in my opinion. Ours came with nice grained walnut and for a tube-loader they will shoot very well. Gunbroker has a special edition 881 there that i'd give a testicle to have. At least I think it is still up for auction. Any 881 in good shape with walnut is well worth $150. Some 881's had surprising walnut especially in the late 80's early 90's era.
My 881 and one I gave my son both will shoot 1/2" at 50yds with mini-mags or Auto-Match ammo. Pretty good for a tube loader. I promise you will love the little gun. I buy them when I can find one in the 100-150 range every time.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
The stock upgrade I made to my 981t was actually a Marlin 881 stock (how the ticket was marked). It is cut checkered Fleur-di-lis. 5 minutes of Dremel burr work made it work. Ya just need a little inside clearance for the lifter spring. You cannot see the modification on the outside of the stock. I dont remember if the front trigger guard screw was switched from a wood screw to a machine screw on the 881. It was for sure on the 781 (single takedown screw).

Regarding Fleur-di-lis walnuts, I have seen several new 983's (22mag) with the same stock. So if you call Marlin for that stock, they will tell you it wont fit a 981t (only because of this very minor modification.)

You 881 owners help refresh my memory. One or two takedown screws?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The stock upgrade I made to my 981t was actually a Marlin 881 stock (how the ticket was marked). It is cut checkered Fleur-di-lis. 5 minutes of Dremel burr work made it work. Ya just need a little inside clearance for the lifter spring. You cannot see the modification on the outside of the stock. I dont remember if the front trigger guard screw was switched from a wood screw to a machine screw on the 881. It was for sure on the 781 (single takedown screw).

Regarding Fleur-di-lis walnuts, I have seen several new 983's (22mag) with the same stock. So if you call Marlin for that stock, they will tell you it wont fit a 981t (only because of this very minor modification.)

You 881 owners help refresh my memory. One or two takedown screws?
got this 881 home and now i have both of them going thru stock changes. the 881 dropped right in the 981 stock but it will only have one take down screw now instead of the usual 2, which this is good. now my question is once i dremel out for the lifter spring for proper fit will the front trigger screw (on the 981 ) go ahead and line up thru the 881 tr guard (or is it even needed to put that screw back in). if it does,a little ream job on the front tr hole and i believe that this long screw will work. what do you think? sure seems like it will, but you know once that bit goes thru the original tr hole (on the 881 stock) the 881 wood screw is history !! by the way the 881 has only 1 take down screw.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
The front trigger guard screw will line right up with the receiver tap.
Love that Marlin ingenuity !
that's great ! any chance you can put up some pics of the area's needed for the dremel work ? i tried a little of it today and everytime i drop the tr group in it wouldn't flush up with the rear of the stock. the lifter spring area cleared fine just the back is what's giving me fits. thought i was there,dropped it in then the bolt would not engage and the safety was out of order also. sure would appreciate if pics could be possible. just don't want to ruin a nice vintage walnut stock. if you prefer pm them to me. remember pics are worth a 1000 words :bthumb: . also this 881 will function with shorts but gotta take it slow or hang ups start happening, 981 flat eats em right up, all the more reason to get that action in there. thanks

·
Registered
2,917 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I took these pics of my current 981t stock (previously 881) and a 781 stock (future project) that is marked for rework to fit a 981t. I suspect from your difficulty you may have the 781? version. I havent carved on it, I only marked it for study. It looks do-able but requires more work.

http://hometown.aol.com/marklener/images/781.JPG
http://hometown.aol.com/marklener/images/881.JPG
that will help a bunch. gonna keep them for future needs. looks like more than i want to do at this time. being that i have the 981 & 881 think i will leave the 881 stock for now, might be a winter job when cabin fever sets in :) . thanks for all the info. tony

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
pics will come as soon as the wife quits using those throwaways and buys a real camera. had a nice HP, it hit the concrete (grandkids got in on this one). got a few i'd like to post just got to convince her to quit bein' so tight. i can't stop buyin' marlins long enuff to think about a camera :D .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.