Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Marlin 781

780 2
Picked a 781 up at a gun show last week. Seems like a very solid rifle. Holds about the same size groups as my 25N. Can anyone give me any more
information on this rifle. The stock looks to be
walnut. This one was made in 1984
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts

I have a model 780, mine is a clip fed .22 bolt action. I believe yours is a tube feed. Other than that, they should be identical. I've had mine since HS, which was in the mid-late 70's. Shot zillions of rounds through it, with no problems. i don't think the newer Marlins are as nicely finished as these older bolt guns. The newer stamped checkering on the newer guns looks a little cheap. They still have the same micro groove barrel, and are still a great bargain. The bluing is alot nicer than the painted receivers on the model 60's, whick always seems to chip off around the scope mounts. But again, the 60 is still a great value....

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've got one that was given to me by my father, which was a gift to him as a teenager. All I can tell you is that, as far as I'm concerned, it is as pretty a gun as you can find. The wood is excellent. And with open sights, it is definately a better shooter than I am. I think you made a good purchase. :) :t

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.