Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Marlin 60 Report/Pics

2727 51
Did some shooting today on my home range. 12 year old Marlin 60 SS / 22lr that we won in a gun raffle back then. It wears a Simmons 4x 22 Mag scope which I painted dark grey as I did not care for the shiny grey from factory. The gun has the older 22" barrel and 15 round capacity. I am getting it ready for a lil woodchuck hunting.

I am currently with out a rim mag as I have opted for the 22Hornet the last few years. The cost of rim mag ammo went up considerably and I reload the Hornet for the same. Eventually, I just didn't have a need for rim mags. Its been a very long time sense I have been with out a rim mag.

With cons there are always pros. The departure of the rim mag has brought the 22lr's back into the picture. I currently have two sporters in 22lr. A older Ruger bolt action and this Marlin semi auto. Both shoot well have taken varmints and do the job for roving while being economical and fun.

I have normally used value plinker ammo, mini mags and for quality ammo Eley white rabbit with the latter shooting best in the Marlin followed by mini mags.

There was VERY GUSTY WINDS TODAY AND WORST AT A 90 DEGREE RIGHT TO LEFT CROSS. Despite that I shot some Velocitors which grouped VERY poor from the Marlin. I also shot Winchester Super X Power Points with there deep, carnivorous hollow point cavity and blunt squared off nose which appears to be a very good varmint bullet. They caught my eye in Steve B's. excellent book on rimfire ammo (Riflemans Guide To Rim Fire Ammo) because of the excellent terminal ballistics which left one knurly looking slug, good accuracy for sporting ammo and small deviations in velocity. I had shot these before plinking but really did not pay attention.

Despite the winds the Winchester Power Points were impressive. The 10 shot / 50 yard group below has 7 of 10 in the .4"s with 3 wind gust flyers or myself pulling. I shot many groups trying to avoid the wind and they were impressive. Surprisingly right there with Eley White Rabbit from this gun with this lot anyways. At 50 yards I also blew apart several pieces of fruit and a couple water bottles. The bullets terminal ballistics were impressive. Time to test them on some Woodchucks. I think I found a common purchase 22lr ammo to replace the Mini Mags.

Soon on a no wind day I will range test again. Experience tells me that from the Marlin it will produce 10 shot group as one cluster………..for now its ready to bag a few Woodchucks.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Nice!

That's a hansome gun you have there! The scope really sets it off. I was looking to buy a less expensive 60, but the SS metal and laminated stock really make for a classy and very tempting combo.

Cheers!

Robert

·
Registered
519 Posts
That's a hansome gun you have there! The scope really sets it off. I was looking to buy a less expensive 60, but the SS metal and laminated stock really make for a classy and very tempting combo.

Cheers!

Robert
It is a beautiful rifle! If you like this one, you outta check out the stainless steel 60 with the carbon fiber stock. It's gorgous!

·
Registered
519 Posts
bucktail bill

If you'd like to try some ammo that would put a serious hurting on a woodchuck try the Aguila Super Max hp's. They're less expensive than the CCI Mini Mags and they're the hottest .22 LR ammo made at 1750 FPS. I know it's not recommended to shoot hyper ammo in the 60, but I shoot this stuff in mine and haven't had any problems with it so far.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
bucktail bill

If you'd like to try some ammo that would put a serious hurting on a woodchuck try the Aguila Super Max hp's. They're less expensive than the CCI Mini Mags and they're the hottest .22 LR ammo made at 1750 FPS. I know it's not recommended to shoot hyper ammo in the 60, but I shoot this stuff in mine and haven't had any problems with it so far.
How's your accuracy results with that load? My 60SS hates Stingers and other hyper velocity rounds - shoots double the size of groups compared to my standby hunting round, Minimags.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
:eek: The Key Words Here Are, 'SO FAR'??!!:(
bucktail bill

·
Registered
519 Posts
How's your accuracy results with that load? My 60SS hates Stingers and other hyper velocity rounds - shoots double the size of groups compared to my standby hunting round, Minimags.
Depends on which hypo ammo I'm using. The Aguila stuff groups pretty good (very close to the regular velocity ammo), and Stingers aren't too bad either, but the CCI Velocitors are terribly inaccurate.

·
Registered
519 Posts
:eek: The Key Words Here Are, 'SO FAR'??!!:(
The only damage you risk by shooting the hyper stuff is to the nylon buffer, which is a $6 part that's very easy to replace if need be. I'd just buy an extra buffer as a spare. As long as you aren't shooting the hyper stuff exclusively, it shouldn't be a problem. I'd say about 1/3 of the ammo I shoot is hyper. Besides, it's worth it. These hyper rounds are almost like shooting a .22 mag and they do far more damage than the regular stuff.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
The only damage you risk by shooting the hyper stuff is to the nylon buffer, which is a $6 part that's very easy to replace if need be. I'd just buy an extra buffer as a spare. As long as you aren't shooting the hyper stuff exclusively, it shouldn't be a problem. I'd say about 1/3 of the ammo I shoot is hyper. Besides, it's worth it. These hyper rounds are almost like shooting a .22 mag and they do far more damage than the regular stuff.
and heavy fatigue to other parts, which will soon fail

disconnector spring
ejector lifter spring
buffer pin rings

all in a matter of time.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
:t "Thank You!!!" + Who Wants to replace the 'Buffer" if 'Ya' Don't Have To!!!:t ;) -Blkwollf!!!

disconnector spring
ejector lifter spring
buffer pin rings

all in a matter of time.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
How do you know this?
because i have repaired them..........
kids around here like to shoot hv's
in there semi's to make a big bang!!!!!!!!!!
they like the idea of more power
according to the fps noted on the box.
i probably sell more hv's than any other
mostly to bolt gun owners, but
every now and then to semi owners........
and i try to warn them!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,233 Posts

disconnector spring
ejector lifter spring
buffer pin rings

all in a matter of time.
Thanks gendoc for reminding us of the actual reasons why the manuals say "high velocity" ammo is ok - NOT hyper.
Having said that, I do use CCI Velocitors in a Ruger 10/22 I have, as it shoots them accurately and I wanted that rifle specifically for late season squirrels where the shots may be longer - I've accepted the fact that I'm wearing out some (replaceable) parts faster than if I stuck exclusively to high velocity rounds.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.