Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran into a Marlin 56-22 lever action rifle at a gun show awhile back. It looked almost like a Marlin semiauto but it had a lever on it. It only took about 2" of movement on the lever to open and close the action. Is anyone in this group familiar with this rifle? Were they any good? Thanks, Me in SD

·
Registered
49 Posts
1960Swede;

The Marlin Model 56 Levermatic .22 caliber rifle was made from 1955 to 1964. There were a total of 31,523 of the Model 56's made (118 for Sears and 289 marked "Royal Canadian") in this total. Early Model 56's had a steel receiver, while guns made after 1956 had aluminum recievers. The Model 56 clip held 7 rounds and could fire either the short. long or long rifle cartridge. In 1959, Marlin offered the Model 56DL or "Clipper King" version that had a 12 round clip and a 4 power Micro-Vue telescope. There were 152 "Clipper Kings" manufactured. The Levermatic series were very good rifles. Marlin did make another Model 62 that fired center fire cartridges.
I hope this helps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
56-22

Thanks for the info on the 56-22. I think the one I looked at had an aluminum reciever. It was a nice looking rifle. Hopefully the dealer still has it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I had one that wasn't terribly accurate out of the box, but I floated the barrel by letting it sit on a plastic V-block under the barrel (about 2" in front of the receiver) ...... and it became supremely accurate. I also liked the fact that the receiver was totally enclosed and it wasn't possible to get blowback of gases and oil.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
this was a unique design, in that they are super strong, and use the speed cam design, which is what allows it to cycle in such a short amount of space. they made the all steel version in 22 s,l, lr, one year only , i think, in 55' maybe in 56 but i dont think so. every other model was made with an aluminum receiver, that slopes down in the back, just like a mod 60. but as i said , it was still very strong, and they made this in several cals, including centerfire cals. The bolt lockup is so good on them, that the action never, ever, gets dirty from fouling!

·
Registered
640 Posts
pmullineaux said:
this was a unique design, in that they are super strong, and use the speed cam design, which is what allows it to cycle in such a short amount of space. they made the all steel version in 22 s,l, lr, one year only , i think, in 55' maybe in 56 but i dont think so. every other model was made with an aluminum receiver, that slopes down in the back, just like a mod 60. but as i said , it was still very strong, and they made this in several cals, including centerfire cals. The bolt lockup is so good on them, that the action never, ever, gets dirty from fouling!
My mother has the one my dad bought in the late50s, with the aluminum reciever, he and I and my brothers shot thousands of 22s thruugh that thing without any troubles, I found a steel framed one in a gun shop that looked like it had been barley used and I bought it. I found a scope mount in the Midway catalouge it now wears a bushnell 4x scope,squirrels watch out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.