Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The one I have is close to 50 yrs. old. There is only one screw on top of the receiver & according to a diagram I saw posted it is for the "cartridge guide spring screw". Can I use this screw to mount a base in order to put a scope on it ?? What kind of base am I supposed to use with only one screw available?? Anyone help me out? please & thank you.:) :)

·
Registered
954 Posts
Your Missing a Few Screws!

That screw threads into a very thin spring, and wouldn't hold much before it stripped out! :eek: You will have to have your gun drilled and tapped for a proper scope mount, made for the 39A.

www.brownells.com has mounts for Marlin 39A's. I'd get the one for full size Weaver Style Rings, instead of the flimsy 3/8" Rimfire size, as the full size are much stronger rings, and look better.

If your gun is in very fine condition, I wouldn't drill and tap it, for I would think it has some decent collector value if in really good condition. If it's beat up somewhat, go for it. Good luck, and SAFE SHOOTIN ! Joe :cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its in excellent shape all right. I was thinking it would be easier to see & shoot g'fers with a scope. Don't know if i'll be keeping it as I have a ruger so we'll see. Thanks.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The one I have is close to 50 yrs. old. There is only one screw on top of the receiver & according to a diagram I saw posted it is for the "cartridge guide spring screw". Can I use this screw to mount a base in order to put a scope on it ?? What kind of base am I supposed to use with only one screw available?? Anyone help me out? please & thank you.:) :)
You could consider a "skinner" peep sight for your rifle....not a scope for sure...but really aids in shooting over "v" rear sight as now on it. Won't make the gophers look any closer tho......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.